Intéressant

Sites historiques à Macédoine

Sites historiques à Macédoine



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

1. Héraklée Linkestis

Heraklea Linkestis aurait été fondée par le roi Philippe II de Macédoine vers le IVe siècle avant JC, avant d'être conquise par les Romains vers le IIe siècle avant JC.

Des vestiges bien conservés de cette colonie autrefois florissante peuvent maintenant être vus sur le site, y compris un théâtre et des bains ainsi qu'un temple juif et une église. L'un des aspects les plus célèbres d'Heraklea Linkestis est sa série de mosaïques vives.


Le bain turc de Dojran est un bâtiment qui date de la période de l'Empire ottoman et représente aujourd'hui un bâtiment historique et culturel important.

La forteresse Isar est un point de repère spécial pour la ville, un endroit où vous passerez du temps de qualité à apprendre beaucoup de choses sur l'histoire de Shtip et en même temps vous découvrirez


Sites culturels et historiques de Stip, Macédoine


Stip était le plus grand centre culturel et commercial de Macédoine orientale depuis l'Antiquité. Certains historiens disent que Stip a été formé en 2500 ans avant JC. Tout d'abord, c'était une petite ville avec un petit nombre de maisons sous la forêt d'Isar. Les historiens pensent que Stip a été fondée par les personnes qui ont quitté l'ancienne ville voisine de Bargala. Bargala était une ancienne ville de type fermé, entourée de murs et ce peuple a construit Astibo, qui fut la première ville de type ouvert. Des maisons ont été construites autour de la colline Isar, et en temps de danger et de guerres, les gens se cachaient dans la forêt au sommet de la colline. La ville s'appelait Astibo alors qu'elle relevait de la juridiction de Paeonia. Paeonia était cet état de temps qui dans le nord de la Macédoine. On pense que la frontière avec l'ancienne Macédoine se trouvait au sud, quelque part à proximité de l'ancienne ville de Stobi. Astibo était un endroit important car il se trouvait au carrefour du sud et de l'est.

Il y a quelques croyances historiques, qu'Alexandre Macédonien sur la route du Moyen-Orient, a visité et a séjourné un peu à Stip.

Au temps de l'empire romain, ils changèrent le nom de la ville. Le nom romain de Stip est Stipion. Stipion était toujours le centre culturel de la Macédoine orientale, mais c'était encore une petite ville avec quelques maisons du côté est de la colline d'Isar.

Stip a commencé à se développer alors qu'il était sous l'empire ottoman. Il est important que les Turcs ottomans changent à nouveau le nom de la ville. Ils l'ont appelé Ishtip. Les documents de cette époque étaient les premiers documents écrits sur la structure de la ville et ses parties, qu'Otomant les appelait - maala. Selon ces documents, il y avait un maala macédonien sous l'Isar et Tuzlia, un maala juif sous le macédonien et près de la rivière Otinja, et un maala turc du côté opposé de la rivière près de la mosquée, qui existe toujours à Stip. Il est important de dire que les Turcs ottomans ont construit leur maala séparément, sans aucun lien avec les autres maala. Plus tard à l'ouest du premier maala turc, ont été construits deux autres maala, qui n'étaient pas non plus reliés entre eux. Chaque maala turc avait sa propre mosquée. L'une de ces mosquées dans la plus récente maala turque, la mosquée Husamedin Pasha, reste inachevé.

Il n'y a pas de documents écrits fiables sur la popularité à Stip depuis les années 1790. Les premiers documents de l'époque décrivaient Stip avec une popularité de 3000 à 4000. Il semble que Stip ait connu une croissance rapide par la suite, car dans les documents de 1900, il est écrit que Stip comptait 20 900 citoyens, 10 900 Macédoniens, 8 700 Turcs, 800 Juifs et 500 Roms.
une.

École à Novo Selo


Dans la cour de l'église Sv Bogorodica à Novo Selo, il y a une école où le révolutionnaire Goce Delcev enseignait. A côté se trouve la maison où vivait le révolutionnaire. Aujourd'hui, c'est une propriété privée, mais restaurée dans un style authentique. L'église a une cachette où Goce Delcev se cachait. Dans les murs de l'église, il y a deux autres cachettes où 30 autres hommes se cachaient. Il y avait un tunnel sous le trône de l'archevêque qui menait de l'église aux maisons du village. C'est ainsi qu'ils ont échappé aux Turcs.

Forteresse d'Isar


Entre les deux rivières, à 150 mètres de haut sur la colline rocheuse au-dessus de la ville, la forteresse de Stip, ou mieux connue sous le nom d'Isar, monte la garde.

Les gens disent que la forteresse a été construite par le roi Marko, tandis que sa sœur Maria construisait une route et un pont à travers le canyon afin que les gens puissent traverser la rivière Bregalnica. Même si elle a conseillé à son frère de construire des choses qui seraient utiles au peuple au lieu d'une forteresse qui n'existera que de son vivant, le roi Marko était têtu et a construit la forteresse. La prédiction de l'intelligente Maria se réalisa la forteresse fut de courte durée. Longtemps après cela, les gens parlèrent de la bonne action de Maria, chantant une chanson chaque fois qu'ils passaient la route à travers le canyon qu'elle avait construit, tandis que la forteresse du roi Marko était bientôt en ruines.

L'heure exacte de la construction de la forteresse est inconnue. On peut seulement dire qu'il date du haut Moyen Âge, ayant toutes les caractéristiques de l'art médiéval. Situé en hauteur, il gardait la ville de Stip dans l'état du tsar Samoil. Au 13ème siècle, la forteresse était sous administration bulgare et ensuite sous le souverain serbe Stefan Decanski. En 1382, elle fut conquise par les Turcs. Après l'invention des armes à feu, la forteresse a été désertée. Certains des matériaux de construction de la forteresse provenaient de l'ancienne ville d'Astibo

Sv. Jovan Krstitel, 14e siècle


Sur la rive droite de la rivière Otinja, sur le versant sud de la colline où se trouve "l'Isar", une église dédiée à Saint-Jean-Baptiste a été construite en 1350.

Sv. Jovan Krstitel, 14e siècle

C'est une église à une seule pièce sans coupole. Sa construction a été soutenue par Jovan Probistipovic, propriétaire foncier du despote Oliver. Aujourd'hui, il ne reste que des fragments des fresques. Les peintures du tsar Konstantin et de la tsarine Elena sont visibles sur le mur sud autour de l'entrée.

L'église Saint-Nicolas, village de Krupiste


A la sortie nord-est du village de Krupiste, sous la route Stip-Kocani, sur la rive droite de la rivière Bregalnica, il y a une église médiévale dédiée à saint St.Nikola, et les restes d'une ancienne basilique chrétienne ont été découverts dessous.

L'église St.Nikola est une construction de dimensions modestes, faite de pierres brisées de taille inégale et d'éléments intégrés de la sculpture paléochrétienne avec des signes et des lettres cryptés. C'est une église à nef unique, avec un arc en plein cintre et une abside semi-circulaire à l'extérieur. L'entrée est sur son côté ouest.

Deux inscriptions sont conservées dans l'église. Le premier indique que l'église a été construite sous le règne de l'évêque Makarie en 1625, et peinte à fresque en 1627, tandis que le second mentionne le nom du maître Isaija Debreli, qui en 1880, alors qu'il est présumé que le porche du une église à arc en plein cintre a été construite, peinte et a fait certaines interventions sur les fresques du naos. Les personnes portant des costumes nationaux modernes sont visibles dans les fresques du porche, réalisées par cet artiste-fresque.

Selon des recherches et des conclusions ultérieures de Blaga Aleksova, les origines de l'église ont été localisées entre le 9ème et le 10ème siècle, et en 1975, lors des dernières fouilles, il a été découvert que l'église a été construite sur les fondations d'une basilique ancienne chrétienne à trois nefs aux dimensions suivantes : longueur de 16 m et largeur de 14,9 m.

Saint-Gorgi, Gorni Kozjak


L'église médiévale de St.George a été élevée à l'endroit où, selon certaines hypothèses scientifiques, le règlement appelé Kozjak existait auparavant, à une dizaine de kilomètres au sud-est de la ville de Shtip, à la localité de Gorni Kozjak et près de la localité archéologique de Bargala.

Saint Gjorgji, village de Gorni Kozjak, 9e/10e (11e/12e) siècle

Il existe différentes théories et hypothèses sur le moment de sa construction. Certains prétendent qu'il a été construit entre le XIe et le XIIe siècle, mais un grand nombre de scientifiques le situent entre le IXe et le Xe siècle, c'est-à-dire à l'époque du baptême des Slovènes le long de la vallée de la rivière Bregalnica.

L'église est construite en utilisant des roches de rivière ébréchées, avec du mortier de chaux éteint et avec de nombreuses décorations de l'Antiquité tardive de Bargala. Il a une base d'une croix cryptée avec un dôme d'un tambour octogonal. Son narthex a une voûte en croix de pierre, reliée au naos par le triforium.

Il y a un grand biphora du côté nord et du côté sud.

Les recherches montrent qu'au cours du XIVe siècle l'église a été rénovée, tandis qu'au côté sud du narthex une chapelle à base carrée et à tambour demi-arrondi a été en plus construite, les parties supérieures du biphore ont été fermées et l'église a été décoré et peint à fresque pour la troisième fois consécutive.

De la couche originale de fresques aux deux arcs demi-arrondis, seul celui du sud a un fragment de fresque qui reste et il représente un visage de saint.

Galerie d'icônes dans l'église Saint-Nicolas - Štip


L'un des objets sacrés les plus représentatifs, construit par l'exemple de l'église Uspenie na Presveta Bogorodica (Dormition de la Vierge) à Novo Selo - Štip qui a été construit par le proto-maître Andreja Damjanov, est l'église St.Nikola à Štip, construit sur le site de l'ancienne église Sifieva dédiée à Saint-Nicolas (1341) par le maître d'œuvre Gjorgi Novakov-Dzongar. Pour le renouvellement-reconstruction de cette église, le panneau d'inscription intégré au-dessus de l'entrée principale ouest, dont le texte dit que l'église a été construite à l'époque du métropolite de Kustendil et Stip - Ignatija, le 10 mai 1867.

La galerie a été créée en 1990 et abrite un riche fonds d'œuvres d'art des églises et des monastères de la région de Bregalnica. L'exposition de la galerie, enrichie des icônes de la grande iconostase du naos de l'église, les fresques-décorations et le baldaquin abondamment gravé (planche semi-circulaire appuyée sur quatre poteaux dans l'autel où s'exerce la sainte communion), sont de véritables raretés pour le église historique des beaux-arts passé sur ce terroir. Cette exposition comprend des œuvres d'art-icônes, réalisées par nombre de nos zographes connus et anonymes (peintres d'icônes) qui ont travaillé dans les églises et monastères de Macédoine orientale aux XVIIe, XVIIe et XIXe siècles, ainsi que d'anciens livres d'église imprimés, putiri doré (verres pour la communion), croix en argent gravées, reliques et autres objets sacrés précieux.

Dans la partie sud de la galerie de cette église, 29 icônes datant des XVIIIe et XIXe siècles sont présentées par les peintres d'icônes : Dziko du village Osoj, Konstantin zograph, Petre Novev Pacarev du village Tresonce, Krste zograph de Veles, Adamce zograph et autres.

Nous énumérerions les icônes suivantes : St. Kirik et Julita, Nativité du Christ, Sainte Trinité, Vierge Marie et Christ, St. Jovan avec le zitie (biographie de saint’s) etc.

Dans la partie ouest de la galerie, 32 icônes sont présentées, la plupart datant du XIXe siècle. Les peintres de ces icônes étaient : Danail Kocov de Stip, Stanislav Dospeski, Krste zograph de Veles et d'autres.

Plus significatifs parmi eux sont ceux qui présentent Jésus-Christ, St.Nikola Deisis, Sainte Mère de Dieu - Umilitelna etc.

Dans la partie nord de la galerie 31 icônes sont présentées, œuvres des peintres d'icônes : Petre Novev, Isaija Debarlija, Konstantin Andonov.

Avec sa peinture et ses couleurs distinguent les icônes avec la présentation de Saint Siméon (l'un des douze apôtres du Christ), Sainte Mina, le Baptême du Christ et d'autres.

Sur l'iconostase de la chapelle nord se trouvent 16 icônes, oeuvres des auteurs : Krste de Veles, Atanasie, Dziko d'Osoj, Atanas de Krusevo etc. Soulignons les icônes : St. Pantelejmon, St. Apôtre Filip et St. Jovan. Sur l'iconostase de la chapelle sud, il y a 13 icônes, la plupart peintes par le peintre d'icônes Krste de Veles. Nous mentionnons : la Transfiguration du Christ, l'Apôtre Toma, St. Dimitrija et d'autres.

L'attention des visiteurs est principalement attirée par les icônes qui sont situées sur la grande iconostase dans le naos de l'église et il y en a 67, toutes sont des œuvres de l'un des plus célèbres zographes du 19ème siècle, plus précisément de 1890, et c'est le peintre d'icônes Dimitar A. Papradiski.

De tous, nous soulignons les icônes avec la présentation de l'Assemblée des Apôtres, l'Apôtre Pavle, Saint Haralampie, Saint Siméon Stolpnik, L'Annonciation, l'Archange Gabriel etc.

Dans l'espace de la galerie de cette église, il y a sept vitrines où d'autres Psautiers (livres avec divers textes religieux) ont été exposés, imprimés à Moscou dans la première moitié du XIXe siècle.

Minei (livres décrivant tous les services pour célébrer la Sainte Mère de Dieu, St. Jovan Preteca (St. John Forerunner) et d'autres saints, divisés en douze mois)

Evangiles (livres avec textes des quatre évangélistes : Mateja, Marko, Luka et Jovan)

Trebnici (livres qui parlent de la coupe de cheveux des moines, des coutumes funéraires, du baptême d'eau, etc.)

Parmi les expositions d'église dans ces vitrines, il y a plusieurs couronnes de mariage datant de la fin du 19ème siècle, plus d'argent Ibrici (vases en forme de dentelure que les prêtres utilisaient pour se laver), putiri (coupes en argent et dorées pour la communion), des coupes avec des cuillères en argent pour la communion , croix argentées pour embrasser, lampes icônes argentées et bien d'autres.

À la fin, nous ajouterons seulement que cette exposition de galerie dans cette église représentative avec ses expositions qui montrent la beauté et les valeurs du patrimoine culturel sacré appartenant à la région de Bregalnica, est une partie importante de la vie des gens dans notre histoire de la Renaissance. Le visiteur a vraiment de quoi voir et se délecter spirituellement dans le musée-galerie de l'église de l'église Saint-Nicolas dans la ville de Stip.


Sites historiques en Macédoine - Histoire

Chronologie de l'histoire de la Macédoine

La Macédoine est située au centre des Balkans du Sud, au nord de l'ancienne Hellas (Grèce), à ​​l'est de l'Illyrie et à l'ouest de la Thrace. Le nom "Macédoine" est le plus ancien nom d'un pays du continent européen. Les anciens Macédoniens étaient une nation distincte, ethniquement, linguistiquement et culturellement différente de leurs voisins. Leurs origines se trouvent dans l'ancien substratum brygien (phrygien) qui occupait l'ensemble du territoire macédonien et dans la superstrate indo-européenne, qui s'y installa à la fin du II e millénaire. Des preuves archéologiques montrent que l'ancienne civilisation européenne a prospéré en Macédoine entre 7000 et 3500 av.

[808-399 av. J.-C.] Caranus établit l'ancien royaume macédonien et est le premier roi macédonien connu (808-778 avant JC). Alexandre Ier "Philhellène" (498-454 av. Le fils d'Alexandre Perdiccas II (453 - 413 av. Archélaüs (413-399 av. J.-C.) fait de la Macédoine une puissance économique et réorganise l'armée macédonienne.

[359-336 av. J.-C.] Philippe II (359-336 avant JC) élève la Macédoine au rang de plus grande puissance européenne après avoir soumis tous les voisins de la Macédoine - Illyriens, Thraces et Grecs. La bataille de Chéronée où les Macédoniens battent les Grecs le 2 août 338 avant JC, marque la fin de l'histoire grecque et le début de l'ère macédonienne. L'écrivain grec Theopompus déclare Philippe "le plus grand homme que l'Europe ait jamais donné".

[336-323 av. J.-C.] Le fils de Philippe Alexandre III le Grand (356-323 av. J.-C.) transporte les armées macédoniennes en Asie et conquiert l'empire perse. La Macédoine devient le plus grand empire du monde s'étendant de l'Europe à l'Afrique du Nord et à l'Inde.

[323-300 av. J.-C.] La mort d'Alexandre le Grand plonge la nation macédonienne dans une guerre civile alors que les principaux généraux macédoniens se battent pour le règne de l'Empire. En 300 avant JC, l'Empire macédonien est divisé entre les dynasties des généraux d'Alexandre Antigone Ier (Macédoine et Grèce), Ptolémée Ier (Égypte) et Séleucos Ier (Asie).

[300-146 avant JC] Sous Antigone II Gonatas (276-239), petit-fils d'Antigone Ier, la Macédoine parvient à un régime stable et renforce son occupation de la Grèce. Son petit-fils Philippe V (222-179 av. J.-C.) se heurte à Rome qui a commencé à s'étendre vers l'est. Les deux "guerres macédoniennes" contre les Romains se soldent par une défaite des armées de Philippe V. La Macédoine perd toute la Grèce et se réduit à ses frontières originelles. Dans la troisième "guerre macédonienne", Rome bat l'armée macédonienne sous le dernier roi macédonien, le fils de Philippe Persée (179-168 avant JC). Persée meurt prisonnier en Italie, une rébellion contre la domination romaine échoue et en 146 la Macédoine est une province romaine.

[65 avant JC] Rome conquiert le royaume séleucide macédonien en Asie sous son dernier roi Antiochus XII.

[ 30 avant JC] La victoire romaine sur Cléopâtre VII met fin à la dernière descendance macédonienne en Égypte, et avec elle aux derniers vestiges de l'empire macédonien.

[51-63 après JC] « Et une vision apparut à Paul dans la nuit. Là se tenait un Macédonien, et le pria, disant : Venez en Macédoine, et aidez-nous » (Bible, Actes 16:9). L'apôtre Paul et ses épîtres prêchent le christianisme pour la première fois sur le sol européen, dans les villes macédoniennes de Philippes, Thessalonique et Bérée. Le premier Européen à se convertir au christianisme est une jeune fille macédonienne du nom de Lydia.

[395] L'Empire romain se divise en Occident et en Orient. La Macédoine tombe à l'Est (byzantin), un empire multinational qui s'étend sur trois continents à son apogée. Les premiers empereurs byzantins sont des Romains, mais avec le temps, des personnes d'origine macédonienne, syrienne, arménienne, phrygienne (amorienne) et d'autres origines ethniques deviennent des dirigeants.

[535] Les Slaves envahissent la Macédoine, la Grèce, l'Illyrie et la Thrace et se mélangent aux Macédoniens, aux Grecs, aux Illyriens et aux Thraces.

[855-886] Deux Macédoniens, les frères Cyrille et Méthode de Salonique, la « grande et la première ville du Macédoniens tel que décrit par les historiens byzantins, créer le premier alphabet slave et promouvoir le christianisme parmi les peuples slaves. Les disciples de Cyril et Méthode Clément et Naum d'Ohrid répandirent le christianisme dans la langue slave et fondèrent la première université slave, l'école littéraire d'Ohrid.

[867-1025] Basile Ier le Macédonien (867-886) est le premier Macédonien à devenir empereur byzantin, fondateur de la dynastie macédonienne. L'empire atteint son apogée dans une période connue sous le nom de « âge d'or », alors qu'il était gouverné par la dynastie macédonienne de 867 à 1025.

[Première moitié du Xe siècle] L'enseignement Bogomil apparaît en Macédoine et devient un mouvement populaire à grande échelle qui se répand dans les Balkans et en Europe.

[976-1018] Avec l'affaiblissement de l'empire byzantin, les Slaves macédoniens se rebellent contre l'autorité bulgare et, sous le tsar Samuel, créent un puissant royaume médiéval slave macédonien avec son centre à Ohrid. Samuel étend son royaume en conquérant des parties de la Grèce, de l'Épire, de la Bulgarie, de l'Albanie, de la Serbie, de la Bosnie, du Monténégro et de la Dalmacie, mais est vaincu par l'empereur byzantin Basile II le Macédonien en 1014. En 1018, son empire est repris par Byzance.

[1040-1072] Deux soulèvements majeurs éclatent contre la domination byzantine en Macédoine, l'un dirigé par le petit-fils de Samuel, Petar Deljan (1040), l'autre par Gjorgji Vojteh (1072).

[1389] Malgré les rébellions et les brèves occupations serbes et bulgares aux XIIIe et XIVe siècles, la Macédoine resta territoire byzantin jusqu'à ce que les Turcs ottomans la conquièrent en 1389.

[1564-1565] La rébellion Mariovo-Prilep est le premier mouvement de résistance macédonien important enregistré contre l'occupation turque.

[1689] Le soulèvement de Karposh suit dans le nord de la Macédoine. Le chef Karposh est capturé et exécuté sur le pont de pierre à Skopje.

[1767] Sous la pression du patriarche grec d'Istanbul, les Turcs abolissent l'archevêché d'Ohrid, qui gardait vivante l'âme spirituelle des Macédoniens depuis l'époque du tsar Samuel.

[1822] Le soulèvement du Negus éclate, une insurrection des Macédoniens pour la libération dans le sud de la Macédoine.

[1828-1878] La Grèce (1828), la Serbie (1830) et la Bulgarie (1878) obtiennent leur indépendance de la domination turque et affichent des aspirations territoriales sur le territoire macédonien. La soi-disant "Question macédonienne" apparaît. Les Grecs, les Bulgares et les Serbes rivalisent dans leur quête pour occuper la Macédoine et en même temps mettent des obstacles à l'indépendance macédonienne.

[1876] Le soulèvement de Razlovtzi en Macédoine orientale contre la domination turque annonce la lutte de libération nationale macédonienne.

[1878-1879] Les Macédoniens se rebellent à nouveau en Macédoine orientale contre l'occupation turque avec le soulèvement de Krersna. Les combattants macédoniens de la liberté adoptent une constitution connue sous le nom de Règles du Comité du soulèvement macédonien. Le soulèvement exerce une forte influence sur la croissance de la conscience nationale macédonienne.

[1891] L'évêque Théodose de Skopje entame une campagne pour une Église orthodoxe macédonienne indépendante et la restauration de l'archevêché d'Ohrid, qui avait été aboli en 1767. Les Bulgares détruisent effectivement l'idée.

[1893] L'Organisation révolutionnaire interne macédonienne (VMRO) est fondée à Salonique. Sous le slogan « La Macédoine pour les Macédoniens », ses objectifs sont la liberté nationale et l'établissement d'un État macédonien indépendant. Georgi (Gotse) Delchev devient son chef.

[1903] Les révolutionnaires macédoniens "Gemidzii" mènent une série d'attaques contre un certain nombre de bâtiments à Salonique afin d'attirer l'attention du public européen sur le sort du peuple macédonien. Le 2 août 1903, le VMRO lance le soulèvement d'Ilinden contre les Turcs et déclare l'indépendance de la Macédoine. Les révolutionnaires libèrent la ville de Krushevo et établissent une république avec un gouvernement. Le soulèvement est brutalement écrasé par les Turcs. Krushevo est réduit en cendres et plus de 150 villages macédoniens détruits. Cette même année, Krste Misirkov de Pella (Postol), le fondateur de la langue littéraire et de l'orthographe macédonienne moderne, publie son "On Macédonien Matters", dans lequel il projette les principes de normalisation de la langue littéraire macédonienne.

[1908] La révolution Jeune-Turc ferme l'Empire ottoman. L'organisation révolutionnaire macédonienne, par l'intermédiaire de Jane Sandanski et du tout nouveau Parti national fédéral, participe activement au mouvement des Jeunes-Turcs pour obtenir l'autonomie de la Macédoine.

[1912-13] La Grèce, la Serbie et la Bulgarie unissent leurs forces et, avec l'aide de 100 000 Macédoniens, battent l'armée turque en Macédoine. La Macédoine se voit refuser l'indépendance et le traité de Bucarest (août 1913) partage le pays entre la Grèce, la Serbie et la Bulgarie. La Grèce prend la plus grande moitié sud de la Macédoine (Macédoine égéenne) et la renomme en "Grèce du Nord". L'armée grecque réduit en cendres la ville de Kukush, lieu de naissance du leader macédonien Georgi (Goce) Delcev. La Bulgarie a annexé la région de Pirin et aboli le nom macédonien, et la Serbie a repris la région du Vardar et l'a renommée en "Serbie du Sud".

[1914-1918] En 1914, la Première Guerre mondiale éclate. La Bulgarie se range du côté des puissances centrales et, en 1915, occupe la partie de la Macédoine détenue par les Serbes (Vardar). La défaite des puissances centrales et la fin de la Première Guerre mondiale en 1918 ont vu la partition de 1913 reconfirmée et la Macédoine est laissée divisée.

[ 1919] Lors de la conférence de paix de Paris, les revendications des Macédoniens pour une Macédoine indépendante et unie sont ignorées. Le traité de Versailles sanctionne le partage de la Macédoine. La Macédoine du Vardar est réincorporée au reste de la Serbie et au nouveau royaume des Serbes, Croates et Slovènes, rebaptisé plus tard Yougoslavie.

[1924] Le Manifeste de mai, résolution du Parti communiste de Yougoslavie sur le droit du peuple macédonien à l'autodétermination. La Grèce imprime l'abécédaire « Abecedar » en macédonien pour les besoins des enfants macédoniens de la Macédoine égéenne, mais il s'est retiré avant qu'il n'atteigne les écoles.

[1925] VMRO (United) est fondée à Vienne sous la direction de Dimitar Vlahov. Son objectif principal est de libérer la Macédoine à l'intérieur de ses frontières géographiques et économiques et de créer une unité politique indépendante qui deviendra un membre égal de la future Fédération des Balkans.

[1935] Le Mouvement national macédonien MANAPO est établi dans la partie Vardar de la Macédoine.

[1936] La Société littéraire macédonienne est fondée à Sofia par d'éminents écrivains macédoniens.

[1940] La cinquième conférence nationale du Parti communiste de Yougoslavie adopte une résolution sur l'égalité et l'autodétermination du peuple macédonien.

[1941] La Seconde Guerre mondiale éclate et la Bulgarie en tant qu'alliée fasciste de l'Allemagne hitlérienne occupe la quasi-totalité de la Macédoine (à la fois Vardar et Egée) et collabore avec les nazis pour le départ des Juifs de Salonique vers les camps de concentration. Le 11 octobre 1941, les Macédoniens lancent une guerre pour la libération de la Macédoine de l'occupation bulgare.

[1943] Le sentiment antifasciste apporte son soutien au mouvement communiste grandissant et le Parti communiste de Macédoine est établi. La première unité de l'armée de Macédoine est fondée et des organes gouvernementaux (conseils de libération nationale) sont formés sur l'ensemble du territoire macédonien. Le quartier général de l'Armée de libération nationale (NOV) publie un manifeste des objectifs de la guerre de libération.

[1944] Le 2 août 1944, 2282 ans après la bataille de Chéronée et à l'occasion du 41 e anniversaire du soulèvement d'Ilinden, l'Assemblée antifasciste de libération nationale de Macédoine (ASNOM) proclame un État macédonien. Des représentants de toutes les régions de Macédoine se réunissent pour l'occasion et décident de la constitution d'un État macédonien moderne en tant que membre de la nouvelle fédération yougoslave. Le présidium de l'ASNOM est formé avec Metodia Andonov Chento comme premier président.

[1945] Le premier gouvernement de la République populaire de Macédoine est fondé (16 avril) avec Lazar Kolisevski comme président.

[1946] La première constitution de la République populaire de Macédoine est adoptée. Début des études universitaires en macédonien (Faculté de philosophie).

[1946] La Bulgarie, sous la direction de Geogi Dimitrov, reconnaît officiellement l'existence de la nation macédonienne et le droit de la partie Pirin de la Macédoine à être rattachée à la République populaire de Macédoine. La majorité de la population de la partie de Pirin en Macédoine se déclare macédonienne lors d'un recensement libre.

[1946-1949] Lors de la guerre civile grecque (1946-1949) qui a suivi la Seconde Guerre mondiale, les Macédoniens de Macédoine égéenne se battent aux côtés du Parti communiste grec (KKE) qui leur a promis leurs droits après la guerre. Environ la moitié des 35 000 soldats du DAG sont macédoniens. Sur le territoire libéré de la Macédoine égéenne, 87 écoles macédoniennes sont ouvertes, des journaux en macédonien sont publiés et des associations culturelles et artistiques sont créées. Mais après quelques années de succès du KKE, les communistes perdent la guerre et les Macédoniens sont à nouveau privés de leurs droits humains. 28 000 enfants macédoniens de la mer Égée, appelés «enfants réfugiés», sont séparés de leurs familles et installés en Europe de l'Est et en Union soviétique dans le but de les sauver de la terreur qui a suivi. Des milliers de Macédoniens ont perdu la vie et un grand nombre de villages macédoniens sont réduits en cendres.

[1956] Lors du recensement bulgare de 1956, la majorité de la population de Pirin Macédoine se déclare à nouveau macédonienne. Depuis lors, la Bulgarie dirigée par le nationaliste Todor Zhivkov revient sur sa décision de reconnaître la nation macédonienne et interdit une fois de plus la libre expression de la nationalité et de la langue macédoniennes.

[1958] L'archevêché d'Ohrid, aboli en 1767 par les Turcs ottomans sous la pression grecque, est restauré.

[1967] L'Académie macédonienne des arts et des sciences est fondée. L'autocéphalie de l'Église orthodoxe macédonienne est proclamée.

[1986] Le journal grec "Elefteros Tipos" annonce que le Premier ministre Papandreu, lors des entretiens avec le membre de la présidence yougoslave Stane Dolanc, a accepté de reconnaître la langue macédonienne comme l'une des langues officielles de la Yougoslavie.

[1988] Le Premier ministre grec Papandreu et Karolos Papulias des Affaires étrangères conviennent de reconnaître la langue macédonienne en Grèce. L'affaire du banquier " Koskotas" fait tomber le gouvernement PASOK, et les documents n'ont jamais été signés.

[1989] L'Organisation macédonienne unie - Ilinden (OMO Ilinden) est fondée à Pirin Macédoine, exigeant l'autonomie culturelle et nationale des Macédoniens dans la partie Pirin de Macédoine.

[1991] La Yougoslavie fédérale se désintègre alors que la Slovénie, la Croatie et la Bosnie déclarent leur indépendance. Lors d'un référendum le 8 septembre, les Macédoniens proclament l'indépendance. Kiro Gligorov est élu premier président de la Macédoine indépendante. Une nouvelle constitution est adoptée, déclarant la République de Macédoine un État souverain, indépendant, civil et démocratique, et reconnaissant l'égalité complète des Macédoniens et des minorités ethniques du pays.

[1993] La Macédoine est admise aux Nations Unies.

[1994] Craignant que la Macédoine ne présente une revendication historique, culturelle et linguistique sur la Macédoine égéenne, la Grèce insiste sur le fait qu'il n'y a pas de nation macédonienne et que les Macédoniens n'ont pas le droit d'utiliser le nom "Macédoine". La Grèce impose un embargo commercial sur la Macédoine en raison du refus macédonien de renommer le pays, la nation et la langue, et de modifier l'article 47 de la Constitution qui spécifie « La République de Macédoine se soucie de la statue et des droits des personnes appartenant au peuple macédonien dans les pays voisins. pays . Dans le même temps, la Grèce s'est retirée des pourparlers gréco-macédoniens, surveillés par l'ONU en tant que médiateur, et a bloqué toute acceptation de la Macédoine dans les institutions internationales en usant de son pouvoir de veto sur les nouveaux membres.

[1995] La Macédoine devient membre du Conseil de l'Europe. Human Rights Watch condamne la Grèce pour l'oppression de sa grande minorité ethnique macédonienne, dont la Grèce nie l'existence. Amnesty International et le Parlement européen exhortent également la Grèce à reconnaître l'existence de la langue macédonienne et à mettre fin à l'oppression des Macédoniens de souche sur le territoire macédonien qu'elle s'est approprié en 1913.


Sites historiques

Carnoosie est construit sur l'une des hautes collines d'Edgefield et est le meilleur exemple de style victorien à l'italienne de la ville. C'était la maison des seuls père et fils d'Edgefield qui étaient gouverneur et lieutenant-gouverneur John Calhoun Sheppard et James Orlando Sheppard.

Le Courthouse Square est au cœur du centre-ville d'Edgefield et a peu changé en fonction, en apparence générale et en charme en plus de 225 ans.

Ce bâtiment historique, autrefois la maison du capitaine James Miller, a été construit en ca. 1840. Il a été déplacé à son emplacement actuel dans les années 1990 et a été transformé en un musée avec des expositions de pointe détaillant l'histoire diversifiée du comté d'Edgefield.

La pièce maîtresse de la place du palais de justice est le palais de justice du comté d'Edgefield. Le site du palais de justice du comté d'Edgefield a été choisi pour la première fois en 1785 lorsque le comté d'Edgefield a été créé.

It was first known as the Edgefield Village Baptist Church and the first service in the new church was held on Saturday, 19 April 1823.

Edgefield Methodism is probably as old as Edgefield. Circuit riders conducted services at Edgefield Court House in the late 1790s. The first Edgefield Methodist Church was at Pottersville, one mile north of the present town limits.

In 1826, Furman University (one of South Carolina's most selective private universities) began right here as a Men's Academy and Theological Institute. Furman relocated to Greenville in 1850, and a small monument stands testament to their Edgefield roots.

As a continuation of the local pottery tradition, the Doctor Arthur and Esther Goldberg Groundhog Kiln was built in 2011. It is a traditional wood-burning kiln similar to those used over 200 years ago in this area.

Still a private residence today, Halcyon Grove was built in 1815 and was most notably occupied by Andrew Pickens, Jr. (one of our Ten Governors). Architectural features include hidden doors, beautiful feather-painted wainscoting, lattice columns and the double-tiered piazza (to name just a few).

Horn Creek is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the "Backcountry" of South Carolina. Built in 1790, it is a rare example of the one-room meeting style church that reflects the simplicity and frugality of early settlers.

This church was built in 1901, but was formed in the years right after the Civil War. There is a cemetery directly behind the building.

This home was built on the site of the first residence in Edgefield, dating from approximately 1762. The present house was built, circa 1843. In 1873, Alfred J. Norris, a prominent Edgefield lawyer and businessman purchased the property. In 1875 his daughter, Mamie Norris, was born here. She later married James Hammond Tillman who became Lieutenant Governor of South Carolina.

Explore American history and the spirit of a young, new nation.

Captain Daniel Bird Jr., a native Virginian, moved to the area after the Revolutionary War. Initially living at Halcyon Grove on Buncombe Street, he later purchased land a mile from the courthouse to build what is now Oakley Park Museum, in 1835. Captain Bird became a wealthy cotton planter, also breeding fine race horses. His life was a mix of success and tragedy. In only a few years he left Edgefield to begin a new life in the territory of Florida. What he has left behind is a truly beautiful example of Neoclassical architecture.

Within the walls of Oakley Park are also stories of families who once called this mansion their home. These individuals lived through unprecedented challenges, dreamed of what America could become and bravely participated in creating the country we love. Immerse yourself in an earlier century and find inspiration in the art and ideals of early America. Topics covered in the collection include the following: War of 1812, Mexican-American War, Second Seminole War, Nullification Crisis, Dave The Potter, the Civil War, Reconstruction, and the Spanish-American War.

Oakley Park Museum is a privately owned 501(c)(3) organization with a mission to protect, preserve and promote a unique artifact of American history for all to immerse themselves within. The museum is available for tours, meetings and private events.

Construction on the church began 2 January 1858, primarily through the efforts of Father Timothy Bermingham, a native of Ireland. Granite from a local quarry was used and Irish stonemasons were brought from Europe to carve the stone of St. Mary&rsquos walls.

Established in 1836, The Edgefield Advertiser is the longest continuing newspaper in South Carolina. Make sure you drop by to say hello and you just might find yourself in next week&rsquos edition!

Located along Courthouse Square (on the opposite corner across from the Courthouse), the History Wall details Edgefield history from local Native American tribes to the 21st century on informational panels. *Geocache Location

It is the oldest church building now standing in the town of Edgefield and perhaps the oldest brick building in the area. Trinity Episcopal Church was built on land deeded by Edmund B. Bacon to the Wardens and Vestrymen on September 15, 1835 and the building was completed in 1836.

Willowbrook Cemetery is the second most historic cemetery in South Carolina, and is overflowing with &ldquoresidents&rdquo who carved their place in local, state, and national history. The oldest marked grave in Willowbrook belongs to Pierre LaBorde who was a native of France and died in 1820, aged about 50 years.


Philippi

Philippi was an important city in eastern Macedon which flourished in the Hellenistic, Roman, and Byzantine Periods. Situated between the Strymon and Nestos rivers, the city was valued in antiquity for its nearby gold mines. Site of the famous Battle of Philippi at the end of the Roman Republic, the city prospered in the Roman imperial era and, after a visit from St. Paul, became an important centre of early Christianity. Philippi continued to flourish as a major Byzantine city. Today the archaeological site has substantial remains including a theatre and four basilicas. Philippi is listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.

Période hellénistique

According to tradition, the city, under its first name of Crenides (or Datum), was founded c. 360 BCE by settlers from nearby Thasos who were led by the Athenian Kallistratos. There is no archaeological evidence of a significant settlement prior to the 4th century BCE but there had been small communities in the area since Neolithic times as attested by local rock art.

Publicité

When Krenides was attacked by Thracians the inhabitants looked to Philip II of Macedon for protection. Philip, no doubt with an eye on the wealth of the local gold mines, responded by taking the city and renaming it Philippi (or Philippoi), after himself, in c. 357 BCE. Fortifications and a theatre were amongst the architectural additions made under Philip's reign and he also drained the surrounding swamps. The city maintained its independence but to ensure continued loyalty from this new asset a number of Macedonians were permanently relocated to the city. According to the ancient historian Diodorus, the mines near Philippi produced a very respectable 1,000 talents each year.

Following the death of Alexander and the subsequent Successor Wars, Phillipi was much sought after for its gold and convenient harbour, Neapolis (modern Kavala) but continued to act as an independent city under the Antigonid regime. This is attested in a decree found on Kos which dates to 243 BCE and which grants the island's sanctuary to Hera the right of asylum.

Publicité

Roman Period

When the Romans defeated the Macedon king at the Battle of Pydna in 168 BCE, they divided Macedonia into four administrative districts. Philippi is not mentioned specifically but it is assumed it was in the first zone, the prima regio. In 146 BCE Macedon became a single Roman province and Philippi one of its prominent centres. The city benefitted greatly from the construction of the via Egnatia, the major road which connected the area to the Adriatic in the south and the Dardanelles in the north. A well-planned forum was built, along with a basilica, and a commercial street joined the heart of the city to the via Egnatia.

In 42 BCE the city famously gave its name to the battle which saw Mark Antony and Octavian gain revenge on Julius Caesar's assassins, Brutus and Cassius. The battle had involved the largest number of troops in Roman warfare up to that point. 19 legions of 110,000 men on the Triumvirate side faced 17 Republican legions of 90,000 men, and the result was 40,000 casualties and another nail in the coffin of the Republic.

Inscrivez-vous à notre newsletter hebdomadaire gratuite !

Philippi then became a Roman colony settled by army veterans and produced its own coinage. When Octavian defeated Mark Antony at the Battle of Actium in 31 BCE, the city received another influx of new residents, this time settlers who had lost their land during reforms in Italy. From 27 BCE the city gained the honorary title of Colonia Iulia Augusta Philippensis.

The first Christian church in Europe was founded at Philippi (built on top of a tomb of a Hellenistic hero) which had become an important early Christian centre following a visit to the city by Paul the Apostle in 49 CE. Lydia was notable as the first European to be baptized there. In the following centuries Philippi flourished and benefitted from an extensive building programme. In Late Antiquity Philippi was a prominent city in the Eastern Empire and an episcopal seat. Once more the city's urban landscape evolved to include large churches, towered buildings, and new city walls.

Publicité

Archaeological Remains

Portions of the city's fortifications, built by Philip and employing large marble blocks, are still visible today. The walls originally encircled the city and joined the nearby hill which protrudes from Mt. Orvelos. The ancient fortified acropolis was built on top of this hill and a square tower from the Byzantine period, built during the reign of Justinian I (527 to 565 CE), still stands there. The city's outer fortifications had square towers built at intervals and gates gave access to the city, three of which survive today. The eastern Naples Gate, which led to the port of Neapolis, has a tower on each side.

The 4th-century BCE theatre built by Philip II, one of the largest built in Greece, has been excavated and been partially reconstructed. The forum, built around a central square, can be seen today, as can four support pillars of its basilica (Basilica B) built c. 550 CE and which had three aisles and a dome. A curiosity is the so-called 'cell of St. Paul' where it is claimed the apostle was imprisoned but it is, in fact, an old water cistern which was subsequently converted into a cult shrine. On the other side of the via Egnatia, opposite the forum and reached by a monumental staircase, was another basilica (known simply as Basilica A) which was constructed in the 5th century CE. Measuring 130 x 50 metres and having three aisles, it was the largest basilica built in that period.

Publicité

Finally, the small first Christian church has a surviving mosaic floor with an inscription indicating that the church was dedicated to St. Paul. The church was replaced by a larger octagonal one, built on the same site c. 400 CE. This new building had a double colonnade inside and a pyramid roof but was altered some 50 years later to take on a square form. The area around the church was made into an enclosure with stoas (colonnaded halls), accommodation for pilgrims, a large two-storey bishopric building for priests, and a monumental gate leading to the via Egnatia.


Landmarks, Historical Sites and Points of Interest in the Sunshine State

African American History in the Keys Spanish Colonial Sites in Pensacola Smalltown Downtowns Family-Friendly Lighthouses The Culture of the Forgotten Coast True Ghost Town Tales Histoire amérindienne The Maritime Heritage Trail

History is repeating itself at the site of a historic Black cemetery in Bethesda, Maryland

Peter Paul Brown must be turning in his grave if he knows about the kerfuffle over one of the cemeteries owned by the Black benevolent organization he founded in 186 7 . The Philadelphia physician who lived between c. 1822 and 1882 established the Ancient United Order of Sons and Daughters, Brothers and Sisters of Moses — the Moses Order — to provide death benefits, healthcare, and other social welfare services for African Americans in a deeply segregated Reconstruction era America. Brown was a skilled entrepreneur and he held tight to his intellectual property and the organization’s name. That name is now the center of a fight over land in suburban Maryland just across the border with Washington, D.C. , where activists claim hundreds of bodies are buried beneath a parking lot and construction site.

The site is one of many abandoned and desecrated African American burial grounds throughout the United States for which activists are seeking recognition, protection, and commemoration. One of the best known examples is t he cemetery where the African Burial Ground National Monument was established in Manhattan. Massive protests and congressional hearings brought the issue to headlines in newspapers around the nation in the early 1990s.

African Burial Ground Way, New York, New York, 2018.

In 201 5 , the Montgomery County, Maryland, Planning Department began holding public hearings for a new sector plan in a mostly commercial area in unincorporated Bethesda. Planners disclosed that their research had uncovered the likely site of a historic African American cemetery in their study area. It had been documented in old maps and in a local history book but had been mostly forgotten since the 1960s when heavy equipment ex cavated much of the site to construct a high-rise apartment building and grade a surface parking lot. None of the graves was professionally excavated to relocate the bodies buried there.

The cemetery had been owned by White’s Tabernacle No. 39, a subordinate Moses Order founded in Washington in 187 6 . Displaced by suburban encroachment in 1910, White’s Tabernacle in 1911 bought an acre of land near River Road in a Black enclave founded just after the end of the Civil War. Before the war, the land had been occupied by plantations with enslaved workforces. After the war, the small rural community simply called itself by the name of the road along which its residents had settled.

When White’s Tabernacle bought its land along River Road, the enclave included Black-owned homes and businesses and one of the county’s “colored” schools. Less than a year after buying the property , White’s Tabernacle began burying its members in its cemetery. Because Congress controlled the District of Columbia government, federal l egislation was required to allow the organization to relocate about 192 graves from the cemetery it had owned in Washington since 1881. The bill enabling the relocation was introduced in 191 4 and it didn’t pass until 1921, more than a decade after White’s Tabernacle abandoned its original cemetery.

1894 Washington, D.C., real estate atlas with White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery circled (lower right) in the copy in the collections of the Library of Congress.

White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery in Washington, D.C. with 37th Street superimposed. Legislative Archives, U.S. National Archives.

By 1924 , a new road had been built over the cemetery and there is no surviving evidence that any of the people buried there were relocated to River Road.

Chevy Chase Parkway (former 37th Street) at the White’s Tabernacle No. 39 cemetery site, 2017.

Fast-forward a centur y to Macedonia Baptist Church. Founded in 1920, the church is the last surviving River Road Black cultural institution. The church’s social justice ministry leader, Marsha Coleman-Adebayo, attended the Bethesda planning meetings where county planners mentioned the cemetery. A veteran activist best known for leading a whistleblower campaign against the EPA ending in litigation and a landmark law , Coleman-Adebayo mobilized members of her congregation and local anti-racism advocates.

Macedonia Baptist Church, River Road, Bethesda, Maryland.

The y began holding rallies at the cemetery site and protests in local government agency hearing rooms beneath banners that evolved from reading “Bethesda African Cemetery Project” to “Save Moses Cemetery.”

Marsha Coleman-Adebayo inspects an early banner used during a protest at a Montgomery County Housing Opportunities Commission meeting in November 2017.

Support Moses African Cemetery banner used in a rally at the Bethesda cemetery site, November 2017.

Starting today’s press conference off with a beautiful rendition of Dr. Karen’s This Is The Scene of a Crime! #SaveMosesCemetery pic.twitter.com/MzblS5yc7e

&mdash Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (@BethAfrCemetery) August 12, 2020

And that’s where Peter Paul Brown comes in. He and the descendants of White’s Tabernacle , along with folks in a dispersed descendant community elsewhere in Montgomery County and Washington , were never really a part of Coleman-Adebayo’s campaign. Instead, Coleman-Adebayo reached out to a small group of church members and allies . She has drawn from a wellspring of urban legends, conspiracy theories, and Wikipedia history to cobble together a story about life , death , and desecration in the River Road community that is untethered from a small but substantive documentary record that tells a different story.

As a consultant to the activists who formed the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition, I researched the history of the White’s Tabernacle cemetery and the people who owned it. My work began uncovering facts that were not consistent with Coleman-Adebayo’s narrative that closely connects her church with the cemetery.

Testimony submitted to the Montgomery County County Council by former Macedonia Baptist Church pastor Rev. Sterling King emphasizing the fact that the church never owned the White’s Tabernacle property.

My research identified a wider descendant community than Coleman-Adebayo claimed. And, my work conclusively demonstrated that the White’s Tabernacle cemetery was more of a Washington-based institution than one closely affiliated with River Road’s residents and Macedonia Baptist Church. Displeased by my documentation , Coleman-Adebayo and her coalition pursued different research partners to document the cemetery and community’s history.

Among the people I identified as potential stakeholders and descendants were the residents of nearby Cabin John, another formerly rural community once associated with Montgomery County’s African Americans that was being absorbed by suburbanization and gentrification.

Concrete grave marker, Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88 cemetery, Cabin John, Maryland.

Cabin John also had a Moses Order, the Morningstar Tabernacle No. 88. In addition to a cemetery, the Cabin John Moses order also had a meeting hall. And, historians and archaeologists have documented overlapping memberships among the White’s Tabernacle and Morningstar lodges during the early twentieth century.

The Save Moses Cemetery crowd never invited the Morningstar Lodge descendant community to be part of their ad vocacy to save the River Road cemetery. Earlier this year, as tempers flared during coalition protests at a construction site next to the former cemetery site, the Morningstar Lodge descendant community [PDF] wrote to Coleman-Adebayo asking that she discontinue using the “Moses” name.

“W e as descendants of the Morningstar No. 88 lodge of the Order of Moses in Cabin John write to disagree with the narrative being put forth by the Bethesda African Cemetery Coalition (BACC) , regarding the Moses Cemetery on River Road in Bethesda ,” they wrote in an August 2020 letter sent to Montgomery County officials. “ We note with alarm that the BACC narrative about the River Road Moses Cemetery does not rest in facts but instead relies on incendiary language and false claims.”

The 2020 request mirrors some of the same control that Brown tried to exert over the name back in the 1870s when White’s Tabernacle was founded in what is now Washington’s Tenleytown neighborhood. Henry White, the local order’s namesake, along with several neighbors formed a subordinate Moses Order without first getting Brown’s consent to incorporate in the District of Columbia using the name Brown had copyrighted.

Peter P. Brown’s original 1872 copyright for the Moses Order name.

Brown sued in federal court. He charged that the Washington order had violated his copyright by using the Moses Order name. Brown alleged that the Washington order “wickedly, maliciously, unlawfully and fraudulently ” intended to injure Brown by appropriating the name he created.

1877 restraining order issued in the Brown v. Moses case.

Brown lost his case in 1879 because the court found that a copyright wasn’t the same thing as a corporate charte r . It created a rift among Washington’s original Moses Order members resulting in the founding of White’s Tabernacle No. 39 by a splinter group associated with the parties Brown sued. More than a century later, it looks like history is repeating itself in Bethesda , pitting one group laying claim to the Moses name and legacy against another.


DUVAL COUNTY

JACKSONVILLE

Ritz Theatre & Museum

You’ll find The Ritz Theatre & Museum in Jacksonville’s historic African American community of La Villa, heralded as the “Harlem of the South” during its heyday in the 1920s-1960s. The Ritz Theatre & Museum highlights the story of James Weldon Johnson and John Rosamond Johnson, Jacksonville natives who composed the African-American national hymn, “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing.” It also invites visitors to explore recreations of streets showcasing how African Americans in Jacksonville lived. On weekends, nationally renowned African American performers thrill sold-out crowds at the Ritz Theatre.

Kingsley Plantation

As Jacksonville's oldest residential home and Florida's last remaining plantation home, it’s hard to overstate the historic importance of the Kingsley Plantation. The Plantation dates back to 1814, and offers remarkably preserved slave quarters, a barn, the plantation house and a kitchen house. Weekend tours of the Planter’s home are available by reservation.

J.P. Small Memorial Stadium, also known as Durkee Field

Though the name of the stadium has often changed – it’s been called Barrs Field, the Myrtle Avenue Ball Park, Joseph H. Durkee Athletic Field, and currently James P. Small Memorial Stadium – its purpose has not it’s been the epicenter of organized baseball in Jacksonville since 1911.
Major league teams have employed the field for spring training and exhibition games, and minor league teams that include as the Jacksonville Tars (Jacksonville Braves) and the Jacksonville Red Caps of the Negro League have used it as their home base.
In 1953, the Jacksonville Braves defied the traditions of the South Atlantic League by adding three African American players to their ranks. That changed history one of the players was 19-year-old, Henry “Hank” Aaron, who played at Durkee Field for one year before being moved to the Milwaukee Braves.

Edward Waters College

Of the four colleges formed during the Reconstruction to provide necessary educational opportunities and teacher training for Florida’s African American citizens that were recently emancipated from slavery, Edward Waters College is the oldest. The College began in the late 1860’s, using several different names and locations in 1891, it acquired its current name.

Old Brewster Hospital

843 West Monroe Street (in La Villa)

The first medical facility to serve Jacksonville’s African-American community, the Old Brewster Hospital and Nursing Training School was built in 1885 as a private residence. In 1901, the hospital opened its doors to the public, thanks to the work of the Women’s Home Missionary Society of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Matilda Cutting Brewster of Connecticut, deserves special recognition she donated $1,000 in honor of her late husband, the Rev. George A. Brewster, to help start the hospital.
Home and School, a private institution for African-American girls, was one of the first nursing training programs in Florida. To say its students were welcomed by the community is an understatement: they made 1,230 house calls in 1901. The rapidly-growing hospital outgrew its first facility and relocated to another La Villa location in 1910 by 1931 it had moved again, this time to a spacious brick structure in the Old Sugar Hill neighborhood. With the passage of the 1964 Civil Rights Act, the Brewster Hospital closed in 1966 only to reopen in 1967 as the Methodist Hospital. In 2005, the Old Brewster Hospital building was moved to its present site from its original location at 915 West Monroe Street.

Durkeeville Museum

Discover the story of historic Durkeeville and its African-American residents, showcased in the museum’s artifacts, pictures, videos, and its ever-growing catalog of oral histories. Admission is available by appointment, so please call in advance.

The Eartha M.M. White Museum

613 West Ashley Street

Using her own kitchen, Clara White provided food and assistance to the needy. Eartha White, Clara’s daughter, continued and expanded the tradition, organizing the Clara White Mission in 1932. Her accomplishments include helping found the first retirement home for Jacksonville’s African American seniors, establishing the Milnor Street Nursery, a tuberculosis sanitarium for African Americans, and Oakland Park, the first municipal playground reserved for African American children. She was the first paid employee of the Afro-American Life Insurance Company, and is heralded for saving the company’s records during the Great Fire of 1901. She taught for 16 years, and was also one of the first paid social workers for Duval County as well as the first African American census taker. You can explore the remarkable lives and careers of these two women through a virtual walking tour of the museum.

Old Stanton High School

521 W. Broad St. (PRIVATE)

Edwin M. Stanton, a vocal abolitionist and Secretary of War under Abraham Lincoln, would be proud of his namesake, Stanton High School. Established in 1868 by the Trustees of Florida Institute, the school holds bragging rights as the first public black school in Jacksonville and the only black high school in the country at the time. One alumnus is James Weldon Johnson, the first African American to pass the Florida bar exam, and the lyricist of Lift Ev'ry Voice and Sing, considered ‘the black national anthem.’ Johnson served as the school’s principal from 1894 to 1902. Closed as a public school in 1971, the building now houses a private school.

Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing Park

Intersection of Houston and Lee Street

The NAACP has declared “Lift Ev’ry Voice and Sing,” written in the late 1800s, as the “Black National Anthem.” The park marks the birth site of James Weldon Johnson, who wrote the song with his brother John Rosamond Johnson, and encompasses three historical markers, one for each brother and one for the song. Plans to further develop the site are in the planning stages.

Hemming Plaza, ‘Ax Handle Saturday’

135 Monroe Street West

Hemming Plaza was the site of a brutal event known as ‘Ax Handle Saturday.’
In the late 1950s and early 1960s racial unrest simmered in the South, thanks to the glacially slow progress being made segregating public facilities, schools and businesses as well as a lack of economic equality. In Jacksonville, under the direction of local social studies teacher Rutledge Pearson, members of the Youth Council of the Jacksonville branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People reacted by organizing non-violent civil rights demonstrations -- often marked by a violent response from those who preferred to maintain the status quo.
After numerous sit-ins at the lunch counters of several downtown department stores, members of the Youth Council were ferociously attacked by segregationists equipped with axe handles and baseball bats. This event, which occurred on August 27, 1960, is known as “Ax Handle Saturday.” The notoriety of “Ax Handle Saturday,” and later demonstrations in 1964, played a large part in ending segregation and improving race relations in Jacksonville.

Mount Olive AME Church

Pioneer African-American builder and designer Richard L. Brown, who served two consecutive terms in the Florida House of Representatives, designed and constructed the Mount Olive A.M.E. Church in 1922. Brown also purchased ground in Campbell’s Addition, subsequently deeding part of it to the Duval County School Board for an elementary school that was named in his honor, and constructed Centennial Hall at Edward Waters College in 1916.

Mandarin School House

The last remaining one-room schoolhouse in Duval County, St. Joseph’s Mission Schoolhouse for African-American Children invites you to delve into its storied past. When the Civil War ended in 1865, black children had new opportunities for formal education --but because of racial prejudice, black and white students couldn’t be taught together.
The Sisters of St. Joseph, members of a Roman Catholic religious order from France, dedicated themselves to teaching black children in post-war Florida. They founded their first Mandarin school in 1868 and built the Mandarin Schoolhouse in 1898 expressly for the education of black Mandarin children.
This unique building now highlights the history of the schoolhouse and others like it that no longer exist. The Museum is open Saturdays, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. the park is open daily from dawn to dusk.

Old City Cemetery

East Union Street and Cemetery Street

Established in 1852, you’ll find this cemetery just northeast of downtown Jacksonville in the Oakland neighborhood. The cemetery was originally situated on a four-acre square, but expanded another two acres to the north in 1869, primarily to serve as a burial ground for African -Americans.
Prior to Evergreen Cemetery opening in 1881 and Memorial Cemetery in 1911, this part of Old City Cemetery, known as the Duval Colored Cemetery or the “Freedmen’s Cemetery”, was the preferred final resting place for many of Jacksonville’s prominent African-American families. It houses the graves of 50 African American veterans, commonly referred to as Buffalo Soldiers, including several that served in the Union army.

Clara’s at the Cathedral

St. John’s Cathedral, 256 E. Church Street

This culinary training café promises visitors an upscale menu and a tasty afternoon in the Cathedral’s historic Taliaferro Hall. “Clara’s at the Cathedral” is an offshoot of Clara White’s Culinary Arts Program, providing students with extensive hands-on training in production, presentation and front of the house restaurant service every Friday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. All proceeds directly benefit the Clara White Culinary Training Program.

Norman Film Studios

Jacksonville was home to more than 30 silent film studios from 1908 through 1922, calling itself the “World’s Winter Film Capital.” When Richard E. Norman, Sr. purchased The Eagle Film City in 1922, he was one of the first independent movie producers to realize the financial potential of making films featuring all-black casts for African American communities. Though the studio was filling an obvious gap, Norman’s reason to produce race films wasn’t only a business decision he also wanted to make a positive impact on race relations. Norman produced eight feature films between 1920 and 1928 including The Green- Eyed Monster (1920), The Crimson Skull (1921), The Bull-Dogger (1921), Regeneration (1923), A Debtor to the Law (1924), The Flying Ace (1926), and The Black Gold (1928). In contrast to the majority of silent screen era movies, Norman’s films were free of racial stereotypes and depicted African Americans in an upbeat light. Just one of Norman’s films, The Flying Ace, is known to still exist, but the five buildings that formed the studios remain.

Mount Zion A.M.E. Church

Stunning, red and proud, this brick building boasts arched windows and doors, art-glass windows, and an imposing bell tower. The church was born in 1866, organized by a group of Freedmen that settled in Jacksonville just after the end of the Civil War. The present building is the sixth built after the previous 1,500-seat church was demolished by the Great Fire of 1901. Mount Zion A.M.E. was added to the National Register of Historic Places on December 30, 1992 and designated a local landmark on May 10, 1994.

Mother Midway A.M.E. Church

1456 Van Buren Street

During and immediately following the Civil War, many African-American churches were built in Florida, usually independent, community-based congregations that a minister organized. The first official religious group created by Freedmen under the authority of a national denomination was in 1865, when William G. Stewart, an ex-slave, was appointed pastor of Florida by the South Carolina Conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The day after arriving in Jacksonville on June 9, 1865, Reverend Steward met with a group from a tiny settlement east of Jacksonville called Midway to organize the first AME Church in Florida. Still situated in East Jacksonville, the Mother Midway A.M.E. Church is now renowned as the “mother” of the Florida Conference of the A.M.E. Church, organized in 1867, and the East Florida Conference, established in 1877.

Bethel Baptist Institutional Church

1058 Bethel Baptist Way

The first organized Baptist church in Jacksonville, Bethel Baptist Institutional Church dates back to 1838. Originally its congregation embraced both white and black members, but following the Civil War, white members went to court in a bid to remove the blacks. The court ruled in favor of the black members ultimately the black members got to keep the name Bethel Baptist Church, and received a cash settlement as well.
The sanctuary built after the Great Fire of 1901 was finished in 1904. The design, by New York architect M. H. Hubbard, features an imposing, ornate bell tower and octagonal steeple. Bethel Baptist was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on April 6, 1978, and was designated a local landmark on March 11, 1997.

A Pensacola native, Chappie James became the first black four-star general in American military history in 1976.


National Register Features

The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.

African American History Month (February)
Visit this National Register feature that showcases publications, historic properties listed in the National Register, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate African American contributions to American history.

Women's History Month (March)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, as well as the designs and achievements illustrating the contribution of women to American history.

Landscape Architecture Month (April)
This National Register feature showcases historic properties listed in the National Register, National Register publications, and National Park units commemorating the events and people, the designs and achievements that help illustrate the contributions of Landscape Architecture to the Nation's history.

Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May)
In this National Register feature, learn about historic places listed in the National Register, just a few of the publications, and National Park units significant for their association with the remarkable history and achievements of Asian and Pacific Americans.

Preservation Month (May)
Communities and states throughout the United States celebrating the National Trust for Historic Preservation's Preservation Month. Our feature links to many web sites important to historic preservation.

Jewish American Heritage Month (May)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for the historical accomplishments of Jewish Americans during Jewish American Heritage Month.

Great Outdoors Month (June)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for Great Outdoors Month.

Back to School: (Early September) The National Register of Historic Places lists many properties significant for education. We are pleased to promote the awareness of and appreciation for education related properties.

Hispanic Heritage (September 15-October 15)
Visit this National Register feature highlighting various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that deal directly with the ingenuity, creativity, and cultural and political experiences of Hispanic Americans.

National American Indian and Alaska Native Heritage Month (Novembre)
This feature highlights various publications, properties listed in the National Register, and National Parks that recognize the events and lifeways, the designs and achievements of American Indians.

Maritime Heritage (December)
The National Register of Historic Places is pleased to promote awareness of and appreciation for historic aids to navigation and their role in maritime heritage.


Voir la vidéo: Le nom de la Macédoine et Macédoine du nord (Août 2022).