Intéressant

Université Queen's de Belfast

Université Queen's de Belfast



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

La Queen's University Belfast est l'une des plus anciennes universités du Royaume-Uni et fait toujours partie du prestigieux Russell Group.

Histoire de Queen's Belfast

L'université a été fondée en 1845 par la reine Victoria, dans le cadre d'une institution plus large connue sous le nom de Queen's University of Ireland, qui visait à encourager les catholiques et les presbytériens à accéder à l'enseignement supérieur. L'université irlandaise existante, Trinity College Dublin, était une institution presque exclusivement anglicane. Queen's Belfast a ses racines dans l'ancienne institution académique de Belfast.

Le cœur de l'université - le Lanyon Building - a été conçu par l'architecte anglais Sir Charles Lanyon et reste à ce jour synonyme de l'université. Lanyon a également conçu plusieurs autres bâtiments emblématiques de Belfast, notamment le château de Belfast et la prison de Crumlin Road. Le bâtiment Lanyon s'inspire du Magdalen College d'Oxford et est de conception gothique Tudor, imitant architecturalement les universités beaucoup plus anciennes d'Oxford et de Cambridge. Lorsque Queen's a ouvert ses portes, il comptait 195 étudiants et 23 professeurs.

L'Irish Universities Act (1908) a divisé l'Université Queen's d'Irlande en Queen's Belfast et l'Université nationale d'Irlande. À ce stade, Queen's comptait environ 600 étudiants, principalement des comtés d'Ulster.

L'université n'a cessé de croître tout au long du XXe siècle : des bienfaiteurs majeurs comme William Whitla ont contribué à étendre l'université et à en faire une institution de plus en plus prestigieuse. Queen's était l'une des 8 universités britanniques à occuper un siège au Parlement jusqu'à ce que cette pratique soit abolie en 1950.

Queen's Belfast aujourd'hui

L'université reste une institution académique active, avec environ 23 000 étudiants. Les visiteurs doivent commencer par le centre d'accueil - des expositions régulières y sont organisées, et c'est le meilleur endroit pour obtenir des informations à jour sur les endroits que vous pouvez ou ne pouvez pas voir. Des visites guidées du campus sont disponibles sur demande, bien qu'elles soient généralement réservées à des groupes plus importants.

Le bâtiment Lynn est particulièrement intéressant à voir si vous en avez l'occasion : conçu à l'origine comme la bibliothèque principale de l'université, c'est un exemple vivant de l'architecture gothique ruskinienne.

Se rendre à Queen's Belfast

L'université est située dans le Queen's Quarter, légèrement au sud du centre de Belfast. L'entrée principale, via le bâtiment Lanyon, se trouve sur Queen's Road. Le stationnement résidentiel est limité dans la région. Les bus 8, 22, 93, 522 et 524 s'arrêtent tous en face de l'entrée. La gare la plus proche est Botanic, à 10 minutes à pied, accessible depuis Bangor et ailleurs dans et autour de Belfast.


Hommage au professeur émérite Rick Wilford

C'est avec une grande tristesse que nous avons appris le décès d'un collègue estimé, le professeur Rick Wilford, professeur émérite à l'École d'histoire, d'anthropologie, de philosophie et de politique.

Crédit photo : BBC News NI

Rick a commencé sa carrière à Queen's en octobre 1980, prenant sa retraite en 2014, mais restant actif en tant que professeur émérite jusqu'à son récent décès.

Né au Pays de Galles, le domaine d'expertise universitaire de Rick était la politique de l'Irlande du Nord et la dévolution. Il a été co-coordinateur de l'équipe de surveillance de la dévolution d'Irlande du Nord, produisant des rapports trimestriels sur le processus de paix. Il est l'auteur et l'éditeur de nombreux livres et articles axés sur la politique, dont Aspects of the Belfast Agreement, Oxford University Press, 2001. Il a reçu le titre de chercheur honoraire principal à l'University College London en juin 2000.

Rick était également un enseignant exceptionnel, démontrant un engagement exceptionnel envers l'expérience étudiante. Les nombreux hommages sur les réseaux sociaux démontrent l'impact de son enseignement et sa capacité à s'engager avec les étudiants d'une manière à la fois très efficace en termes d'expérience d'apprentissage, mais aussi très agréable, avec ses observations astucieuses et pleines d'esprit de la politique nord-irlandaise. avec eux longtemps après qu'ils eurent quitté Queen's.

Alors que Rick était une figure importante dans les cercles universitaires, il avait également une capacité exceptionnelle à communiquer les complexités du paysage politique de l'Irlande du Nord d'une manière qui pouvait être facilement comprise et assimilée par le grand public. Il était bien connu pour ses commentaires politiques et était un collaborateur incontournable pour de nombreux médias. L'analyse d'expert de Rick, en particulier pendant les élections, a toujours été livrée avec une perspicacité et une compréhension incroyables, et bien sûr beaucoup d'humour.

On se souviendra de Rick non seulement pour ses réalisations académiques considérables, mais aussi pour sa chaleur, sa gentillesse et sa générosité d'esprit et aussi pour son engagement envers ses étudiants et ses collègues au cours de ses 40 années à Queen's.

À l'épouse de Rick, Chris, à ses fils et au cercle familial au sens large, nous offrons les plus sincères condoléances à toute la communauté de Queen's.


Pr Donald H. Akenson

Le Dr Akenson est un universitaire et auteur de renommée internationale qui est considéré comme la plus grande autorité mondiale sur la diaspora irlandaise. Il a écrit plusieurs livres, dont le très acclamé Surpassing Wonder: The Invention of the Bible and the Talmuds and St. Saul: A Skeleton Key to the Historical Jesus. Son roman le plus récent est le volume en deux, An Irish History of Civilization (Londres : Granta, 2006). Ses livres universitaires les plus récents sont Discovering the End of Time: Irish Evangelicals in the Age of Daniel O'Connell (Montréal et Kingston: McGill-Queen's University Press, 2016) et Exporting the Rapture: John Nelson Darby and the Victorian Conquest of North American Évangélisme (New York : Oxford University Press, 2018).

Il est également rédacteur en chef de la grande série "McGill-Queen's Studies in the History of Religion", dont il existe actuellement quatre-vingt-quatre volumes sous presse.


Histoire de l'UNI

En 1845, le Queen's College Act créa trois nouveaux collèges « pour l'avancement de l'apprentissage en Irlande » : le Queen's College Cork, le Queen's College Galway et le Queen's College Belfast. Ces collèges ont été ouverts à l'enseignement en 1849 et, en 1850, ont été reliés entre eux sous l'égide de la Queen's University of Ireland, établie par la charte royale.

Université catholique d'Irlande

Un rescrit papal publié en 1847 condamna les Queen's Colleges comme « portant atteinte à la religion » et proposa aux évêques irlandais la fondation d'une université catholique, sur le modèle de Louvain. Un décret du Synode de Thurles en 1850 a accepté la proposition. Le 12 novembre 1851, John Henry Newman est nommé premier recteur de l'Université catholique, institution fondée et financée indépendamment de l'État. L'Université catholique a été officiellement ouverte en novembre 1854.

L'University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879 prévoyait la formation d'une nouvelle université en Irlande, appelée par la suite Université royale d'Irlande, dont les examens étaient ouverts à tous les candidats, qu'ils aient suivi ou non des cours universitaires. La charte de l'Université royale a été accordée le 27 avril 1880 et l'Université Queen's a été dissoute le 3 février 1882.

La fondation de l'Université royale a fourni l'occasion d'améliorer la situation des étudiants de l'Université catholique, à qui les diplômes universitaires reconnus n'avaient pas été disponibles jusqu'à présent. St Patrick's House (maintenant Newman House, St Stephen's Green) a changé son titre en University College, Dublin, et a repris, sous le contrôle des Pères Jésuites, tous les travaux de l'Université catholique, à l'exception de l'enseignement de la médecine, qui a continué dans Cecilia Street, sous le titre de la Catholic University Medical School.

Les Queen's Colleges de Cork, Galway et Belfast continuaient d'exister tels que constitués par la loi de 1845, mais n'avaient aucun statut particulier par rapport à l'Université royale, ni aucune participation effective à l'élaboration de sa politique ou à l'élaboration de ses cours.

L'Irish Universities Act, 1908 a créé deux nouvelles universités - l'Université nationale d'Irlande et l'Université Queen's de Belfast et a dissous l'Université royale le 31 octobre 1909. En vertu de cette loi, l'Université nationale est devenue une université fédérale avec son siège à Dublin et avec trois collèges constitutifs établis par la charte : University College, Dublin University College, Cork et University College, Galway. Les Queen's Colleges de Cork et Galway ont reçu un statut et un titre entièrement nouveaux. Le Collège universitaire jésuite de Dublin a reçu une nouvelle constitution et a fusionné avec la Faculté de médecine de l'Université catholique. La loi autorisait le Sénat de l'Université à reconnaître les programmes d'études dans d'autres établissements aux fins d'obtention de diplômes, et les établissements suivants ont obtenu le statut de collège reconnu.

  • 1910 à 1997 : St Patrick's College, Maynooth
  • 1975 à 1995 : St Patrick's College of Education, Drumcondra, Dublin
  • 1975 à 1988 : Our Lady of Mercy College, (Carysfort) Dublin
  • 1975 à 1994 : Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
  • 1976 à 1977 : Institut national de l'enseignement supérieur, Limerick
  • 1976 à 1977 : Thomond College of Education, Limerick
  • 1977 : Collège royal des chirurgiens en Irlande
  • 1978 à 2005 : St Angela's College of Education, Sligo
  • 1996 : Collège national d'art et de design, Dublin
  • 2002 : Shannon College of Hotel Management
  • 2002 : Institut d'administration publique
  • 2005 : Institut Milltown
  • 2013 : Université

La loi sur les universités de 1997, entrée en vigueur le 16 juin 1997, a redéfini la nature et le rôle de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Il a reconstitué le Sénat, qui est le Conseil d'administration de l'Université, composé de trente-huit membres, comme suit :

  • Le chancelier
  • Les directeurs généraux des universités constituantes
  • Le registraire de l'université
  • Quatre membres nommés par le Gouvernement (deux hommes et deux femmes)
  • Quatre personnes élues par chacune des Universités Constituantes
  • Huit membres élus par la Convocation (quatre hommes et quatre femmes)
  • Quatre membres cooptés

En vertu de la loi, le Sénat de l'Université nationale d'Irlande a des fonctions et des responsabilités en ce qui concerne les éléments suivants :

  • déterminer les conditions d'inscription de base
  • réviser le contenu et l'enseignement des cours
  • nommer des examinateurs externes
  • décerner des diplômes et d'autres qualifications.

La loi de 1997 a également reconstitué les trois collèges constitutifs de l'Université nationale d'Irlande et le Collège reconnu, St Patrick's College, Maynooth en tant qu'universités constitutives.

La loi de 2012 sur les qualifications et l'assurance qualité (éducation et formation) qui est entrée en vigueur en novembre 2012, définit l'Université comme un « organisme de certification désigné ». À ce titre, la Loi exige que l'Université établisse des accords d'assurance qualité à l'égard des « fournisseurs liés » qui offrent des programmes d'enseignement menant à des prix de l'Université. La loi prévoit également un examen périodique des procédures d'assurance qualité de l'université par Quality and Qualifications Ireland, l'autorité établie en vertu de la loi pour superviser l'assurance qualité de l'enseignement et de la formation complémentaires et supérieurs en Irlande.

49 Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Cette maison date des années 1790. Il a été loué par Robert Way Harty de Prospect Hall en 1818, qui est devenu lord-maire de Dublin en 1831. Le numéro 49, du côté est de l'une des places géorgiennes les plus connues de Dublin, abrite le bureau central de l'Université nationale. d'Irlande depuis 1912. Les locaux figurent dans le Registre des structures protégées du Conseil municipal de Dublin qui répertorie les structures protégées d'importance architecturale, historique, archéologique, artistique, culturelle, sociale, scientifique ou technique.


Les salles du Sénat d'origine au premier étage du numéro 49 contiennent un cycle de peintures murales du début du XIXe siècle. Le cycle se compose d'une série de peintures de paysages à l'italienne, qui recouvrent complètement les murs du dado vers le haut. Un cadre peint de boiseries illusionnistes en rouge entoure chaque murale séparément. « [Robert Way Harty] a commandé une série de peintures murales pour le n° 49 Merrion Square, qui représentent des scènes italiennes tirées de gravures de peintures de Claude Lorraine, Salvatore Rosa, Rubens et autres. Ces peintures murales se combinent pour créer un intérieur romantique de noblesse et de style pour la pièce en forme de T….* En l'absence de preuves documentaires, l'attribution des peintures ne peut être établie. Cependant, ils sont de très haute qualité et se classent avec n'importe quel cycle dans ces îles. En tant que paysages encadrés de manière illusoire, ils sont uniques dans le Dublin géorgien et sont également protégés par une ordonnance de préservation.

Le 6 novembre 2001, le Dr Garret FitzGerald, alors chancelier de l'Université, a officiellement ouvert une nouvelle extension au numéro 49 Merrion Square. Dans ses remarques, le Dr FitzGerald a noté que « ... sur le plan architectural, le nouveau bâtiment [le bâtiment Phelan] est très en harmonie avec son environnement. L'idiome géorgien a été interprété avec une grande sensibilité par notre architecte, la couleur de la brique - souvent une note discordante en géorgien recréé - est riche et modulée, le détail de la porte et de la fenêtre est authentique et dans l'ensemble, l'effet est harmonieux et complémentaire.

La construction de la nouvelle extension a été entreprise en consultation avec Dublin Corporation et son achèvement marque le premier changement physique majeur dans le bureau central de NUI depuis que l'Université a élu domicile en 1912. L'installation spécialement conçue, conçue pour accueillir de petites conférences, intègre une nouvelle salle pour les réunions du Sénat, deux autres salles de réunion et des installations annexes.

La nouvelle salle du Sénat, connue sous le nom de « salle Phelan », a été en partie financée par un legs de la succession d'Edward J. Phelan, ancien directeur de l'Organisation internationale du travail et distingué diplômé honoraire de l'Université, et son épouse Fernande. Le Dr FitzGerald a exprimé l'espoir que, outre les réunions du Sénat, "la nouvelle extension permettra de se concentrer sur un large éventail d'activités impliquant l'interaction et la collaboration de collègues des universités constituantes et des collèges reconnus de NUI". Compte tenu de son emplacement magnifique, ici au cœur du Dublin géorgien, nous pensons que ce sera un lieu attrayant et utile pour divers événements et fonctions ».
*'Dublin - A Grand Tour' : J. O'Brien et D. Guinness G Weidenfeld et Nicholson Ltd. Londres, 1994.

Universités constituantes

University College Dublin - Université nationale d'Irlande, Dublin

L'Université catholique d'Irlande a été fondée en 1851 par la hiérarchie irlandaise avec John Henry Newman qui a été installé en 1854 comme premier recteur. Les conférences ont commencé le 3 novembre 1854 dans les facultés de théologie, de philosophie et de lettres dans les locaux de St Stephen's Green. Un an plus tard, rue Cecilia, les cours débutent à la Faculté de médecine.

La fondation de l'Université royale a donné l'occasion d'améliorer la situation des étudiants de l'Université catholique, à qui les diplômes universitaires reconnus n'étaient pas disponibles auparavant. L'University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, a établi l'Université royale d'Irlande en tant qu'organisme d'examen. L'école de médecine de Cecilia Street a continué comme école de médecine de l'université catholique, tandis que les autres facultés, basées à St Patrick's House (maintenant Newman House), St. Stephen's Green, sont devenues University College, Dublin, sous la direction des jésuites.

L'Irish Universities Act (1908) a créé l'Université nationale d'Irlande, avec l'University College Dublin comme collège constitutif auquel une charte a été accordée le 2 décembre 1908. La Catholic University Medical School est devenue une partie de l'University College Dublin. Les locaux d'Earlsfort Terrace utilisés par la Royal University ont été transférés à University College, Dublin, qui a également obtenu l'utilisation du Royal College of Science à Upper Merrion Street en 1926.

En 1934, Belfield House et les terrains ont été achetés pour fournir un centre sportif et des terrains de jeux et, depuis 1949, le Collège a acquis plusieurs autres propriétés adjacentes. À la suite d'une commission gouvernementale sur les besoins d'hébergement des collèges constituants de l'Université nationale d'Irlande, Dáil Éireann a approuvé la recommandation selon laquelle l'University College Dublin devrait être transféré sur le site de Belfield.

En vertu de la Loi sur les universités de 1997, l'University College de Dublin a été reconstitué en Université nationale d'Irlande, Dublin (Ollscoil na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath). En novembre 1998, ce nom a été changé par arrêté ministériel en University College Dublin - National University of Ireland, Dublin (Coláiste na hOllscoile, Baile Átha Cliath - Ollscoil na hÉireann, Baile Átha Cliath).

University College Cork - Université nationale d'Irlande, Cork

En vertu des dispositions de la « Loi 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66', 1845, (une loi pour permettre à Sa Majesté de doter de nouveaux collèges pour l'avancement de l'apprentissage en Irlande), les trois collèges de Belfast, Cork et Galway ont été constitués le 30 décembre 1845. Les statuts et un système d'éducation à être poursuivis dans les collèges ont été conçus par le « Board of Queen's Colleges ». Le Queen's College Cork, le Queen's College Galway et le Queen's College Belfast ont été ouverts aux étudiants le 30 octobre 1849.

La Queen's University en Irlande a été fondée en 1850, et sa charte prévoyait que le Sénat devrait avoir le pouvoir de conférer aux étudiants des Queen's Colleges de Belfast, Cork et Galway les diplômes et distinctions dans les facultés des arts, de droit et de physique qui sont accordé dans d'autres collèges et universités de Grande-Bretagne et d'Irlande.

En 1879, la loi sur l'enseignement universitaire (Irlande) prévoyait la création d'une nouvelle université en Irlande. La charte de la nouvelle université, appelée Université royale, est accordée le 27 avril 1882 et l'Université Queen's est dissoute le 3 février 1882.

En vertu des dispositions de l'Irish Universities Act, 1908, deux nouvelles universités ont été créées - l'Université nationale d'Irlande et l'Université Queen's, Belfast Queen's Colleges, Cork est devenue l'University College Cork, un collège constitutif de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Une nouvelle charte pour le Collège a été publiée le 2 décembre 1908. L'Université royale a été dissoute le 31 octobre 1909.

En vertu de la loi de 1997 sur les universités, l'University College Cork a été reconstitué en Université nationale d'Irlande, Cork (Ollscoil na hÉireann, Corcaigh). En novembre 1998, ce nom a été changé par arrêté ministériel en University College Cork - National University of Ireland, Cork, (Coláiste na hOllscoile, Corcaigh - Ollscoil na hÉireann, Corcaigh).

Université nationale d'Irlande, Galway

L'université a été fondée en 1845 sous le nom de Queens College Galway. C'était l'un des trois Queen's Colleges fondés en vertu des dispositions de la loi 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66, intitulé "An Act to enable her Majesty to doted new Colleges for the Advancement of Learning in Ireland" (titre abrégé The Queen's Colleges (Ireland) Act, 1845), les autres étant situés à Belfast et Cork. Le 30 décembre 1845, des lettres patentes ont été émises l'incorporant sous le nom et le style de "Le président, le vice-président et les professeurs du Queens College Galway."

Le collège a ouvert ses portes aux étudiants le 30 octobre 1849. Les présidents et vice-présidents des trois collèges de la Reine constituaient un conseil de gouvernement jusqu'à la fondation de la Queen's University en 1850. Par le biais de la University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, la disposition était fait pour la fondation de l'Université royale et la dissolution de l'Université Queen's dans les deux ans suivant la date de la Charte de l'Université royale. Tous les diplômés et étudiants inscrits de la Queen's University au moment de la dissolution sont devenus des diplômés et des étudiants de la Royal University, et tous les professeurs existants des Queen's Colleges ont continué d'être des professeurs d'université. La charte de l'Université royale a été accordée le 27 avril 1880 et l'Université Queen's a été dissoute le 3 février 1882.

L'Université royale a été dissoute (en 1909) par l'Irish Universities Act, 1908 et deux nouvelles universités ont été créées : l'Université Queen's de Belfast (anciennement Queen's College, Belfast) et l'Université nationale d'Irlande. Cette dernière devait être une université fédérale avec son siège à Dublin et trois collèges constitutifs (University College Dublin, University College Cork et University College Galway). Une nouvelle charte pour le Collège a été publiée le 20 décembre 1908, changeant le nom du Collège en University College, Galway. En 1929, l'University College Galway Act, 1929/Acht Choláiste Phríomh-Scoile na Gaillimhe, 1929 a été promulguée par Oireachtas Éireann.

En vertu de la loi sur les universités/Acht na nOllscoileanna, 1997 (entrée en vigueur le 16 juin 1997), l'University College Galway a été reconstituée en université, sous le nom d'Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh/National University of Ireland, Galway, et est devenue une université constituante de l'Université nationale d'Irlande.

Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh

Sa bhliain 1845 a bunaíodh an Ollscoil, nó Queen's College Galway mar a tugadh uirthi ag an am. Ceann de thrí Choláiste na Ríona a bhí inti a bunaíodh faoi fhorálacha Actes 8 et 9 Victoria, cap. 66, dar teideal "An Act to enable her Majesty to doted new Colleges for the Advancement of Learning in Ireland" (gearrtheideal: The Queen's Colleges (Ireland) Act, 1845). Je mBéal Feirste agus i gCorcaigh a bhí an dá Choláiste eile. Ar 30 Nollaig, 1845, eisíodh Litreacha Paitinne á corprú faoin teideal "Le président, le vice-président et les professeurs du Queens College Galway."

Thosaigh na céad Mic Léinn ar an gColáiste ar 30 Deireadh Fómhair, 1849. Uachtaráin agus Leas-Uachtaráin trí Choláiste na Ríona a bhí ina mBord Gobharnóirí go dtí an bhliain 1850, tráth na ar bunaíodh Socraíodh, faoin University Education (Ireland) Act, 1879, go mbunófaí an Ollscoil Ríoga agus go scoirfí Ollscoil na Ríona dhá bhliain ó dháta Chairt na hOllscoile Ríoga. Rinneadh Céimithe agus Mic Léinn de chuid na hOllscoile Ríoga de Chéimithe agus de Mhic Léinn Mháithreánaithe Choláiste na Ríona, agus iadsan a bhí ina nOllúna i gColáistí na Ríona ag ina am n fág. Eisíodh Cairt na hollscoile Ríoga ar 27 Aibreán, 1880 agus scoireadh Ollscoil na Ríona ar 3 Feabhra, 1882.

Scoireadh an Ollscoil Ríoga sa bhliain 1909 faoin Irish Universities Act, 1908 agus bunaíodh dhá Ollscoil nua: Ollscoil na Ríona, Béal Feirste (Coláiste na Ríona, Béal Feirste mar a bhí roimhe sin, agus hnaithas mÉirescoil Ollscoil na Ríona, Béal Feirste le trí Chomhcholáiste (An Coláiste Ollscoile, Baile Átha Cliath, Coláiste na hollscoile, Corcaigh, agus Coláiste na hOllscoile, Gaillimh). Eisíodh Cairt nua don Choláiste ar 20 Nollaig, 1908 a d'athraigh ainm an Choláiste go Coláiste na hollscoile, Gaillimh. Sa bhliain 1929, d'achtaigh Oireachtas Éireann Acht Choláiste Phríomh-Scoile na Gaillimhe, 1929.

Faoi fhorálacha Acht na nOllscoileanna, 1997 (a tháinig i bhfeidhm ar 16 Meitheamh, 1997), athbhunaíodh Coláiste na hOllscoile, Gaillimh mar Ollscoil, faoin teideal Ollscoil na hÉireann, Comhollimh, Gallimhway/National a hÉireann University of Ireland di.

Université de Maynooth - Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth

En 1795, le Parlement de Grattan a adopté une loi créant une académie "pour la meilleure éducation des personnes professant la religion papiste ou catholique romaine". La nouvelle académie, St. Patrick's College, a été fondée à Maynooth. En 1910, le St Patrick's College, par le biais de ses facultés d'arts, de sciences, de philosophie et d'études celtiques, est devenu un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. En 1966, le Collège ouvre ses portes aux étudiants laïcs et sa population augmente au cours des trois décennies suivantes.

En vertu de la loi sur les universités de 1997, les facultés composant le collège reconnu ont été désignées comme l'Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth, une université constituante de l'Université nationale d'Irlande.

Le St Patrick's College continue d'exister en tant qu'entité juridique distincte et comprend le Séminaire national et une université pontificale avec des facultés de droit canon, de philosophie et de théologie. Université nationale d'Irlande, Maynooth occupe un campus séparé au nord de la route Kilcock-Maynooth et continue de partager l'espace sur le campus d'origine de St Patrick.

Collèges reconnus

Collège royal des chirurgiens d'Irlande

Le Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (RCSI) a été fondé en 1784 par la charte royale du roi George III, pour former des chirurgiens qui, à cette époque, étaient formés séparément des médecins. Après 1886, la formation des médecins et des chirurgiens a fusionné et le Collège a commencé à former des médecins dans sa faculté de médecine. Ces derniers temps, le Collège est devenu une grande école de médecine internationale. Des cours de premier cycle sont dispensés en médecine, en soins infirmiers, en physiothérapie et en pharmacie et des études de troisième cycle sont disponibles dans une gamme de matières médicales, notamment l'anesthésie, la radiologie et la dentisterie.

En 1977, la faculté de médecine du Collège royal des chirurgiens d'Irlande est devenue un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande. En 2003, l'Oireachtas a adopté une loi privée, la RCSI (Charters Amendment) Act, 2003, modifiant les chartes du RCSI pour permettre au Collège de décerner des diplômes. Ces pouvoirs ont été institués en 2010 à la suite d'un examen institutionnel du Collège.

La loi de 2012 sur les qualifications et l'assurance qualité (éducation et formation) a modifié la loi de 1997 sur les universités afin de reconnaître les diplômes RCSI en tant que diplômes du NUI, lorsqu'ils sont approuvés par le NUI et tant que le collège reste un collège reconnu du NUI.

Institut d'administration publique

La genèse de l'Institut d'administration publique est née des délibérations d'un groupe de hauts fonctionnaires qui ont vu la nécessité d'une formation professionnelle moderne pour les membres du secteur public irlandais et pour l'analyse et l'évaluation éclairées de l'élaboration des politiques publiques irlandaises. Issu de ces délibérations, une organisation formelle, l'Institut d'administration publique (IPA), a été fondée en 1957. Elle est devenue une société anonyme par garantie en 1963 et est un organisme bénévole à but non lucratif. L'IPA est la seule organisation en Irlande à offrir une gamme complète de services dans l'administration publique - dans la recherche, l'éducation, la formation et les publications.

Dès le départ, l'API était soucieuse de poursuivre les meilleures pratiques. Des cadres supérieurs se sont rendus à l'École nationale d'administration de Paris pour étudier ses méthodes et les raisons de son influence considérable sur les échelons supérieurs de la fonction publique française et tout au long de la vie publique française. Afin de créer une influence similaire sur le secteur public irlandais, une école d'administration publique a été créée au sein de l'IPA, qui a ensuite évolué pour devenir sa division de l'éducation.

L'accréditation externe pour les programmes de premier cycle de l'IPA a été accordée pour la première fois en 1982 et pour ses programmes de troisième cycle en 1994. L'IPA est devenu un collège reconnu de l'Université nationale d'Irlande en 2001. Il propose une gamme de programmes de premier cycle et de troisième cycle à temps partiel. , en se concentrant sur les disciplines liées à la compréhension et à la pratique de la gestion du secteur public. Une caractéristique particulière de l'offre d'éducation de l'API est la disponibilité de tous ses programmes d'éducation par le biais de l'enseignement à distance. Cela reflète le fait que l'IPA a été un pionnier de l'enseignement à distance en Irlande afin de répondre aux besoins d'un service public géographiquement dispersé. L'IPA est devenu un collège lié de l'University College Dublin en 2011, devenant ensuite un collège reconnu de NUI à partir du 1er septembre 2018.

Université

Uversity a été créé en 2012 par vingt-quatre établissements d'enseignement supérieur irlandais et nord-irlandais dans le but de promouvoir l'Irlande en tant que centre d'enseignement des arts créatifs. Il offrait une maîtrise innovante en processus créatif, un programme qui s'appuyait sur des modules proposés par toutes les institutions partenaires.

Uversity est devenu un collège reconnu de la NUI en juin 2013. NUI a fourni l'accréditation pour la maîtrise en processus créatif et entre 2013 et 2017, trois cohortes d'étudiants ont reçu leur diplôme de maîtrise par le chancelier de la NUI, le Dr Maurice Manning.

Le programme de maîtrise a depuis été interrompu et la direction stratégique d'Uversity a évolué pour aider les apprenants adultes à s'inscrire pour la première fois à un baccalauréat dans des établissements d'enseignement supérieur irlandais sur l'île d'Irlande. Les anciens élèves de l'Université & rsquos MA in Creative Process sont des anciens élèves de l'Université nationale d'Irlande et ont accès aux supports et à la documentation pertinents de NUI. Plus d'informations sont disponibles ici.

Collège d'une université constituante

St. Angela's College, Sligo (A College of NUI, Galway)

St. Angela's College of Education, Sligo, a obtenu le statut de Collège reconnu de la NUI en 1978, et a conservé ce statut jusqu'à la fin de 2005. Dans un accord historique entre le Collège et NUI, Galway, le nouveau style 'St . Angela's College, Sligo' est devenu un College of NUI, Galway le 1er janvier 2006.

Fondée en tant que collège de formation pour les enseignants d'économie domestique, St. Angela's a étendu ses services d'éducation bien au-delà de ses attributions initiales. Aujourd'hui, il propose une gamme de programmes académiques à temps plein et à temps partiel au niveau de la maîtrise, du grade, du diplôme et du certificat.

Les programmes à temps plein comprennent un baccalauréat en économie domestique avec biologie ou éducation religieuse, un baccalauréat en études économiques et sociales et un diplôme / diplôme en sciences infirmières (général) et en sciences infirmières (handicap mental). Les programmes à temps partiel comprennent une maîtrise en éducation, un baccalauréat en sciences infirmières, un baccalauréat en études psychologiques/études sociologiques et politiques, ainsi qu'un certain nombre de cours menant à un diplôme et à un certificat.

Le Collège a des liens avec l'industrie grâce à sa participation au Graduate Enterprise Program et aux activités de son Food Centre établi pour répondre aux besoins de l'industrie alimentaire dans le nord-ouest. Le Collège a une longue histoire d'implication dans des projets transfrontaliers, ainsi que des liens européens et internationaux à travers le programme Socrates de l'UE et l'adhésion à la Fédération internationale d'économie domestique.

Collège national d'art et de design

Le National College of Art and Design de Dublin a été fondé en 1746 en tant que «petite académie de dessin et de peinture» soutenue par la Royal Dublin Society. En 1924, le Collège passa sous le contrôle du ministère de l'Éducation. À partir de 1936, il a été nommé « le Collège national des arts », délivrant ses propres diplômes. En 1971, le Collège a été reconstitué par la loi de l'Oireachtas, lorsque plusieurs de ses fonctions ont été placées sous un conseil nommé par le ministre de l'Éducation.

In July 1996, the year when the college celebrated its two hundred and fiftieth anniversary, the Senate of the National University of Ireland granted Recognised College status to the National College of Art and Design. The College provides degree and postgraduate programmes in Art and Design Education, Fine Art and a range of Design disciplines. The first intake of students registering for courses of study leading to the award of degrees of the National University of Ireland took place in September 1999.

The College moved to premises in Thomas Street, Dublin in 1980. In July 1998, a new School of Design and Industry was opened on the Thomas Street campus, which brought all the College activities to one location.

Shannon College of Hotel Management

The Shannon College of Hotel Management was founded in 1951 by Dr. Brendan O&rsquoRegan to train managers for the Irish hotel industry. Since then it has become Ireland&rsquos leading Hotel College and has established an international reputation for excellence. The reputation of the College has grown from strength to strength and spread throughout the world.
Shannon&rsquos educational system is unique. The College believes that industry experience at operational, supervisory and trainee management level is a central part of management training. Equally important are the development of product knowledge, business skills and foreign language fluency. These four elements are carefully moulded together at Shannon to form the Shannon Diploma course in International Hotel Management.

The Senate granted Recognised College Status to Shannon College of Hotel Management in November 2000.

Burren College of Art is a small, independent art school situated on the Wild Atlantic Way on the northwest coast of County Clare in Ireland. It is located in the Burren, a region famous for its natural beauty and unique ecosystem. We are an internationally recognized Irish non-profit college specializing in undergraduate, postgraduate and alternative approaches to fine art education. Our Master of Fine Art programme is accredited by the National University of Ireland, Galway.


Queen's University historian reveals secret history of MI6

The first, and only, official history of the Secret Intelligence Service, written by a Queen's University academic, will be published today (Tuesday 21 September).

Professor Keith Jeffery from Queen's School of History and Anthropology is the historian behind MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service, 1909-1949.

Having spent five years with full and unprecedented access to the agency's secret archives in London, Professor Jeffery's book will be launched in London today. He will be at a special event at Queen's on Thursday 23 September to celebrate its publication.

The 800 page book is the authoritative account of the best-known intelligence organisation in the world. Packed with fascinating stories about the extraordinary people who served in MI6 during two world wars and the beginnings of the Cold War, it is essential reading for anyone interested in the history of espionage and international relations in the first half of the twentieth century.

Professor Jeffery said: "Being granted free access to one of Britain's most secret archives was a huge honour for me. Writing this history was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to explore the work of a crucial component in the modern British state.

"For years people have been fascinated with the mysterious world of the secret service but, for most of us, our knowledge of spies and espionage is limited to what we have seen in the movies.

"The real story is much better than James Bond. It deals with real people in real situations, whose stories I have been able to tell in greater detail, and with greater accuracy, than ever before.

"This book is the authoritative account of MI6's people, development, operations and its central place in the British government during the first forty years of its existence. It gives a unique insight into the role and significance of intelligence in the modern world."

Queen's Vice-Chancellor, Professor Peter Gregson, said: "I congratulate Keith on this seminal work. It is a huge accolade for Queen's that one of our academics was selected to write a history of such high national importance. Keith's selection by MI6 to complete this groundbreaking piece of work reflects his unrivalled reputation as one of the UK's leading historians, and Queen's as a world leader in History."

At the Queen's University event on Thursday, Professor Jeffery will be joined by historian, journalist and Whitehall commentator Professor Peter Hennessy. Professor Hennessy will share his thoughts on the much awaited book, which follows the Secret Intelligence Service's operations all over the world.

It also highlights the agency's activities in Ireland, where it tracked Irish republicans during the First World War and tried, rather unsuccessfully, to keep tabs on De Valera's government in Dublin from the late 1930's.

Among the stories recounted by Professor Jeffery is that of Queen's graduate and former Unionist MP, Harford Montgomery Hyde, who worked for Sir William Stephenson, the Service's Chief in New York, during the Second World War.

MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service, 1909-1949 is available from The Bookshop at Queen's.

For more information on Queen's School of History and Anthropology visit www.qub.ac.uk/schools/SchoolofHistoryandAnthropology

Media inquiries to Queen's University Communications Office +44 (0)28 9097 3087/3091or [email protected]

Inquiries and interview bids on Tuesday 21 September should be directed to Paul Sykes at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on +44 (0)20 7008 0912, mobile: +44 (0)7786694931 or [email protected]

1. Keith Jeffery is available for interview at the book launch, which will take place in the Canada Room at Queen's University on Thursday 23 September at 6pm. Media opportunities from 5.30pm. Media who wish to attend this event and place interview bids should contact Anne-Marie Clarke on +44 (0)28 9097 5320, +44 (0)7814 415451 or [email protected]

2. The launch at Queen's follows the book's official publication in London on Tuesday 21 September. Inquiries and interview bids on Tuesday 21 September should be directed to Paul Sykes at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office on +44 (0)20 7008 0912, mobile: +44 (0)7786694931 or [email protected]

3. A photo of Keith Jeffery is available on request from Queen's Communications Office on +44 (0)28 9097 3087/3091or [email protected]

4. MI6: The History of the Secret Intelligence Service, 1909-1949 is published by Bloomsbury in the UK and Penguin in the USA. For specific inquiries about the book, or to request a media copy, please contact Katie Bond at Bloomsbury [email protected]

5. Keith Jeffery was educated in Ireland, the USA and Cambridge (St John's College), where he won the Prince Consort Prize and Seeley Medal. In 2005 he came to Queen's, after teaching at the Ulster Polytechnic and the University of Ulster for over twenty years. From 1988 to 1997 he was joint-editor of Irish Historical Studies, and is currently chair of the journal's board of directors. In 1997-98 he was a visiting fellow at the Australian National University and the Australian Defence Force Academy, University of New South Wales. In 1998 he was Lees Knowles Lecturer in Military Science at Trinity College Cambridge and, in 2003-04, Parnell Fellow in Irish Studies at Magdalene College, Cambridge. In 2004 he was also a visiting research fellow at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia. He gave the Phillimore Lecture at the British Library in 2003, the Stout Lecture at Victoria University, Wellington, in 2004, and the fourth annual Centre for Intelligence and International Secur ity Studies Lecture at Aberystwyth in 2006. He was awarded the Templer Medal from the Society for Army Historical Research in 2007 for the best book of the year (his biography of Sir Henry Wilson) on British Military History. For more information visit http://www. qub. ac. uk/ schools/ SchoolofHistoryandAnthropology/ Staff/ AcademicStaff/ ProfessorKeithJeffery/

Clause de non-responsabilité: AAAS et EurekAlert ! ne sont pas responsables de l'exactitude des communiqués de presse publiés sur EurekAlert! par les institutions contributrices ou pour l'utilisation de toute information via le système EurekAlert.


Obtaining theses from other universities

UK and Ireland

Universities listed here have agreed to make their theses freely available through EThOS. If you need a thesis from a UK or Ireland university which is not participating in the scheme, please request it through the Inter-Library Loans service.

Outside UK/Ireland

The websites listed on this page provide free online access to theses. It is only possible to obtain theses which must be paid for in exceptional circumstances: please consult your Subject Librarian.


History: Primary Sources

Archives Hub : The Archives Hub brings together descriptions of thousands of the UK&rsquos archive collections. Representing over 330 institutions across the country, the Archives Hub is an effective way to discover unique and often little-known sources to support your research.

British Library Manuscripts and Archives Catalogue : Use the Archives and Manuscripts catalogue to find details of the Library&rsquos unique collection items including: Manuscripts and unpublished documents, Personal papers, correspondence and diaries, Family and estate papers etc.

National Archives of Ireland : The National Archives hold records of government of the modern Irish state from its foundation to approximately 1988 and private collections that complement holdings, including business records, medical collections, solicitors&rsquo collections and some landed estate collections. These collections are particularly useful for anyone interested in researching the political, social and economic development of Ireland from the 18th century to the present day. Many collections are also extremely valuable for family and local history research.

National Archives (UK) Discovery Catalogue : Discovery holds more than 32 million descriptions of records held by The National Archives and more than 2,500 archives across the country. Over 9 million records are available for download.

National Library of Ireland Manuscript Collection Lists : The Manuscript Collection Lists provide detailed listings of the contents of manuscript collections.

Public Record Office of Northern Ireland (PRONI) eCatalogue : The eCatalogue is a fully searchable database containing over one million catalogue entries relating to PRONI&rsquos archives.

RASCAL : RASCAL is an electronic gateway to research resources in Ireland. You can use this web-site to search and browse information about the wide range of research and special collections held in libraries, museums and archives across the region.

Special Collections and Archives at Queen's University Belfast : Special Collections & Archives provides access to books, maps, photographs and manuscripts from the twelfth century on, and the institutional archive of Queen's University Belfast. All items held are considered to be of lasting research value. Special Collections material may also be found by searching the Library Catalogue.

This University Archive is the institutional archive of Queen's University Belfast, it comprises records pertaining to the history and development of Queen&rsquos from its foundation as a Queen&rsquos College in 1845 through to its establishment as an independent university in 1908 to the present day.


Possibilités d'accès

1 The dean was elected by his fellow professors and served for periods of three years (renewable). His main duties were to chair faculty meetings, oversee changes in regulations and advise students on their programme of studies. The post of adviser of studies was established in 1937.

2 When Sir David Keir, a former vice-chancellor of Queen’s University, addressed the Ulster Society for Irish Historical Studies in 1966 to commemorate its thirtieth anniversary, he paid tribute to the roles of R. M. Henry, David Chart and Samuel Simms in founding the society and, ‘less directly’, to James Eadie Todd (David Keir, ‘Old ways and new in history’ in I.H.S., xv, no. 59 (Mar. 1967), p. 214). See also: F. S. L. Lyons, ‘“T.W.M.”’ in idem & R. A. J. Hawkins (eds), Ireland under the union: varieties of tension. Essays in honours of T. W. Moody (Oxford, 1980), pp 4–6 R. D. Edwards, ‘An agenda for Irish history, 1978–2018’ in Ciaran Brady (ed.), Interpreting Irish history: the debate on historical revisionism (Dublin, 1994), pp 56–7 (first published in I.H.S., xxi, no. 81 (Mar. 1978), pp 3–19).

3 H. A. Cronne to T. W. Moody, 7 Aug. 1944 (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/J/1/20/Professor J.E. Todd). For further detail on this source, see note 14.

4 H. A. Cronne, T. W. Moody & D. B. Quinn, ‘Introduction: James Eadie Todd as historian and teacher’ in idem (eds), Essays in British and Irish history in honour of James Eadie Todd (London, 1949), p. xiv.

5 E.H.R., lxv, no. 257 (Oct. 1950), p. 563. The review was signed ‘R.P.’. It was probably written by Richard Pares, joint-editor of the E.H.R., professor of history at Edinburgh University.

6 In addition, C. M. MacInnes, a pupil of Todd’s at Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, became professor of imperial history at the University of Bristol.

7 Cronne spent two years at Oxford working with V. H. Galbraith and a year at the Institute of Historical Research, studying with Claude Jenkins, librarian at Lambeth Palace (Cronne to Jenkins, 22 Jan. 1931 (Lambeth Palace Library, Claude Jenkins papers, MS 1634, ff 41–5) I owe this reference to Professor David Hayton). Cronne’s publications include The reign of Stephen, 1135–54: anarchy in England (London, 1970) (ed.), Bristol charters 1378–1499 (Bristol Records Society, Bristol, 1946) (ed. with Charles Johnson), Regesta regum: Anglo-Normannorum, 1066–1154 (Oxford, 1956).

8 Moody’s thesis was nominally supervised by Todd but his director of studies was Miss E. Jeffries Davies, reader in the history and records of London. It was published as The Londonderry plantation, 1609–14: the City of London and the plantation in Ulster (Belfast, 1939). The book is dedicated to Todd.

9 Cronne, Moody & Quinn, ‘Introduction: James Eadie Todd’, pp xivxv.

10 Nicholas Canny, ‘Quinn, David Beers (1909–2002)’, in Dictionary of Irish Biography.

11 His importance to Irish historical studies is discussed by Alvin Jackson, ‘J. C. Beckett and the making of modern Irish historiography’ in Alvin Jackson and David N. Livingstone (eds), Queen’s thinkers essays on the intellectual heritage of a university (Belfast, 2008), pp 149–58. See also, idem, ‘J. C. Beckett: politics, faith, scholarship’ in I.H.S., xxxiii, no. 130 (Nov. 2002), pp 129–50.

12 J. Brown, ‘J. L. McCracken – an appreciation’ in Peter Roebuck (ed.), Plantation to partition: essays in honour of J. L. McCracken (Belfast, 1981), pp 1–13 Nicholas Southey, ‘J. L. McCracken, 1914–2008’ in South African Historical Journal, lx, no. 4 (2008), pp 687–9.

13 Todd had two other assistants. D. W. Hunter Marshall (1925–8), a Glasgow graduate, went to Canada as an assistant professor of history at Winnipeg. D. M. Ketelbey was Todd’s assistant in 1931–2. Her appointment was noted in the academic council but not her academic credentials. She published A history of modern times from 1789 to the present day (London, 1929). It was reviewed favourably in Histoire in 1930 (xv, no. 58 (July 1930), p. 138) and was a recommended text for pass students in the early 1930s. The title page describes her as ‘D. M. Ketelbey, M.A., Editor of “European History from the Fall of the Roman Empire to the Eve of the French Revolution”, etc.’ When the editors of Todd’s Festschrift wondered who might contribute Cronne remarked, ‘I don’t think it is either necessary or desirable to ask her.’ (Cronne to Moody, 24 July 1944 (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/J/1/20/Professor J.E. Todd)). An anonymous referee tells me that Miss Ketelbey became an assistant at St Andrew’s in 1935.

14 The file once belonged to Professor Moody. It contains (a) letters sent by Cronne or Quinn to Moody (b) letters sent to Cronne or Quinn and forwarded to Moody (c) letters from third parties (publishers etc.) sent to Moody (d) a typescript memoir written by Todd and discussed in the text. I can only guess how the file found its way to Queen’s. Moody possibly gave it to Beckett during the 1950s when they were writing their history of Queen’s and it remained in Beckett’s office after he retired. At some point it was handed to Mr Alf McCreary, formerly the university’s information officer, probably when he was writing Degrees of excellence (Belfast, 1994) with Professor Brian Walker. From Mr McCreary’s office the file was sent to me when the Information Office was being relocated. The file is now in the Q.U.B. Archive: QUB/J/1/20/Professor J.E. Todd.

15 J. E. Todd, ‘The apprenticeship of a professor, 1903–1919’ in Histoire, xliv, no. 151 (June 1959), pp 124–33 (with introductory notes by H. A. Cronne).

16 Annual Record of the Queen’s University Association (1945), p. 22 (1950), pp 44–5.

17 A paper of reminiscences about Queen’s by Professor H. A. Cronne, undated, but received by the university in September 1977 (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/J/2/Cronne, Henry Alfred (Professor)).

18 E. Estyn Evans, ‘Geography at QUB’ (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/J/2/E Estyn Evans). Professor Evans probably wrote it for a publication edited by J. A. Campbell to mark the department of geography’s jubilee in 1978 (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/E/4/2/43). The memoir includes pen portraits of colleagues omitted from the jubilee publication.

19 John Boyd, Out of my class (Belfast, 1985) idem, The middle of my journey (Dundonald, 1990) Hugh Shearman, A bomb and a girl (London, 1944).

20 Dalhousie University Archives and Special Collections (hereafter D.U.A.). I am grateful to Ms Dianne Landry, archivist at Dalhousie, for supplying me with copies of the correspondence. The archive also contains correspondence between the president of Dalhousie and Mrs Margaret Todd in Scotland in 1917–18, and newspaper cuttings reporting Todd’s war service.

21 These include four letters in the London School of Economics archives written in 1934 to Professor Sir Charles Webster who acted as external examiner for the D.Litt. thesis on Lord Castlereagh written by one of Todd’s pupils, H. Montgomery Hyde. (I am grateful to Professor Hayton for bringing these to my attention.) Possibly there are Todd letters among the papers of T. W. Moody in Trinity College, but these have not been available to me.

22 Todd to Beckett, May 1941 (P.R.O.N.I., Beckett papers, D41256/B/1/79). The thesis was published as Protestant dissent in Ireland, 1687–1780 (London, 1948). When the university history was published in 1959 it was as a joint authorship (T. W. Moody and J. C. Beckett, Queen’s, Belfast, 1845–1949: the history of a university (2 vols, London, 1959)).

23 A breakaway evangelical church within the Presbyterian tradition, established in 1847 by the merger of two earlier schisms.

24 J. E. Todd, unpublished memoir (Q.U.B. Archive, QUB/J/1/20/Professor J.E. Todd).

25 The letter is quoted in full in Margaret Lodge, Sir Richard Lodge: a biography (Edinburgh, 1946), p. 113, where it is attributed to ‘another of these early students’ (Lodge came to Edinburgh in 1899). The writer was identified as Todd by D. B. Horn, ‘Sir Richard Lodge and historical studies at the University of Edinburgh’ in Scottish Historical Review, xxvii, no 103 (Apr. 1948), p. 77.

26 I am grateful to Mr Grant Buttars, deputy archivist of Edinburgh University, for this information.

27 The incident is recounted also in Lodge, Sir Richard Lodge, p. 114, where Pembroke is not named, but is described as ‘one of the minor Oxford colleges’.


Centre for Public History, Queen's University Belfast

The Centre for Public History at Queen's hosts the monthly Last Fridays Seminar Series at which invited speakers from organisations and universities across the UK, Ireland, and globally share their latest research in the field of heritage and public history. We also host regular one-off workshops and symposia which focus on specific themes.

Each December we host an annual conference and the Annual Keith Jeffery Lecture in Public History, an event which is open to the public. Former speakers have included Jock Phillips, former Chief Historian to the New Zealand government and Conceptual Lead on the Te Papa Museum of New Zealand, and Deborah Mack, Director of Strategic Partnerships for the Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington DC.

We also run an MA in Public History which trains students in the theory and practice of how History is put to work in the public sphere. Each year our students take placements with partners in the museums, arts and cultural sectors, heritage, archives and community.


Queen's University Belfast

Located in the capital city of Northern Ireland, Queen’s University Belfast is steeped in heritage yet benefits from world-class, state-of-the-art facilities.

Queen’s has a history of investing in people and building brighter futures. It’s a place where learning and research come together to create new and exciting global opportunities.

The university has a rich heritage and a renowned history of producing Nobel Laureates, leading global academics and national and international leaders over the last 170 years.

First-Class Education

Queen’s University Belfast is in the Top 200 Universities in the world. QS World Rankings 2019

We are highly respected across the globe as a centre of teaching excellence and innovative research.

Our courses will give you an amazing university experience that's rooted in a rich heritage. Taught by top academics, these degrees enable you to become an expert in your chosen field, with the prospect of a top career in a multi-national company.

A Leading Research Centre

Queen’s University Belfast is part of the prestigious Russell Group of the UK's 24 leading research intensive universities.

Our world-class researchers carry out internationally leading research, with Queen's placed joint 8th in the UK for research intensity. (Ref 2014)

Our Global Research Institutes are flagships for interdisciplinary research in areas of major societal challenge. They bring together a critical mass of excellent researchers from a wide range of disciplines in world-class facilities to tackle some of the greatest global issues of our age.

Tuition fees and scholarships for international students

For new international students registering in 2016/17, undergraduate course fees range between £13,945 (

US$20,000) and £34,830 (US$50,000) a year depending on your course. Postgraduate courses cost between £12,360 (US$ 17,800) and £33,045 (US$ 47,600) a year.

There are a number of country-specific and broader scholarships available to international students, which range from a 10% discount on tuition fees to a £5,000 award across undergraduate and postgraduate programs. Find out more about scholarships you may be eligible for here.

To help you plan your finances, Queen’s University Belfast has published an online survey of the cost of living in Belfast.

Campus Life

Queen's is at the heart of Belfast's culture, as well as its art and social scenes. We're proud to be part of a bustling, cosmopolitan city boasting a vibrant social life and rich cultural heritage.

Les Queen’s Graduate School is a dedicated social and academic space for postgraduate students. It was recently ranked 1st for Graduate Schools out of 159 international universities, (International Student Barometer survey, 2016).